FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
kernel panic? no problem :)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john maclean
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: kernel panic? no problem :) Reply with quote

Interesting thing to notice:- When you are trying to instal Linux onto a new box and you get the following message:-
Code:
Kernel Panic: VS: Unable to mount root fs at 08:03

This is no major problem. Just check your cable settings and make sure that the shorter gap between the slots is attached to the ide device. I have made a sketch here:-
http://www.jayeola.org/jrnl/jul-04.php

Turn the machine off and put the cables on the proper way. You should then be able to install Linux in the normal manner. I guess that this should go onto the wiki, but I've not got round to registering.

[jayeola makes notes "I must learn to read :? ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, in general unable to mount root filesystem means that the drive(s) can't be found.

Make sure they are visible in the BIOS--if they aren't seen there most likely linux won't be able to see them either.

Thx,

-Jeff

P.S. What a scary subject... ;)

john maclean
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my search to find a solution to this "kernel panic21 problem, I noted the BIOS string and tried to find a manual for the mobo. It's an old Abit- AH6 and a fine mobo at that. Could'nt find one for love nor money. Are there any url's about that sort of thing.?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be the manual you are after: http://www.motherboards.org/files/manuals/2/ah6e.pdf
john maclean
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but how did you find this manual so quickly? I went to abit's site and found nothing :?:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(google ;-) )

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP