BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: BLAG50002 Released
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:36 am 
Site Admin

BLAG50002 (mendoza) has been released.

BLAG Linux and GNU is a 100% Free Software distribution.

BLAG is a single-cd distro with everything desktop users "expect" from a desktop, plus a collection of nice server apps.

BLAG50002 is the second update to the BLAG50k series.

BLAG50002 is based on Fedora Core 5 and uses packages from Extras, FreshRPMS, Dries, Livna, and ATrpms. It includes all Fedora updates as of time of release.

CD Images:
http://www.blagblagblag.org/torrents/BL ... so.torrent
ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/lin ... -50002.iso
http://www.blagblagblag.org/50000/iso/BLAG-50002.iso

http://www.blagblagblag.org BLAG Website
http://forums.blagblagblag.org BLAG Forums
http://wiki.blagblagblag.org BLAG Documentation
http://bugzilla.blagblagblag.org BLAG Bugzilla

New CD packages include irssi & bitlbee.

Updates include apt, audacity, bind, cups, firefox, gimp, glibc, gnomebaker, gpodder, graveman, inkscape, kernel, kino, liferea, openssh, openssl, scribus, streamripper, synaptic, thunderbird, & xchat.

Overall, 7 new packages were added, 88 updated.

September 26th, 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:20 am 
Site Admin

Another great release! :)

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:38 am 

Hola Señor Mendoza !

(-could you post the rsync instructions, please ?
-see it here :
http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Rsync_iso
...Thanks to r7... )

Code:
[root@spc1 martin]# cat /etc/blag-release
BLAG release 50002 (mendoza)

PS: Childsplay rocks !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:17 pm 

Code:
[vasco@thor42 src]$ cat /etc/blag-release
BLAG release 50002 (mendoza)

Great work as usual...50K is coming along nicely and will be hard to beat.
However I know Jebba will be trying hard to prove he can do better, as for me I'll run along now and see if I can hack mendoza to pieces :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:21 am 
Site Admin

Ladislav Bodnar, the guy running distrowatch, thinks the 50002 ANNOUNCEMENT is terribly fucking boring. In fact, he thought it was so bad, he didn't even include blag's announcement on his site (for the first time). I asked why, and here was his response:

Ladislav wrote:
I looked at your release announcement in the forum and found it to be the same old, recycled and utterly boring announcement as always. Can't you produce something more exciting? Something that tells people what's new in the latest release and why they should download it? Something enthusiastic and enticing?

If you yourself are not prepared to make an effort to put together a half-decent release announcement, how can you expect others to do it?

Ladislav

Youch. He's pretty right though. I do just take the old one, swap in the names of the new updates, s/50001/50002, and push it out. I'm generally just glad the CD is done and working. I have never spent much time /at all/ trying to promote blag. (Promotion currently consists of an email to distrowatch, lwn.net, and a freshmeat update.)

Following up with him, he responded:

Ladislav wrote:
It doesn't need to be a flowery PR announcement (I dislike those too), just some information about each new release. One paragraph of useful information saying what exactly changed since the last release and why the changes would be great. Or maybe you can provide a full changelog of all updates (including version numbers), bug fixes, feature enhancements, etc.

In sum, we need less suck in the PR department. r7 has offered to write something up, but I think the issue is also a bit wider than just one ANNOUNCEMENT.

Should we actively start promoting blag like most distros do? If so, where? How? Perhaps even, why? :)

The website has had pretty much the same look for quite some time. Dylan did do a decent looking mockup of a new look, but it really wasn't /too/ much different. Should we revamp that as well? If so, who? :)

Oh, and mailing lists are on the way. Either autistici.org or aktivix.org is going to host them. (As a historical note, we had mailing lists until the servers were sent to the FBI then they didn't get set up again.)

In sum, BLAG marketing. /me runs ;)

-Jeff

P.S. Ladislav said it was fine if i posted this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:31 am 
Site Admin

Maybe we should have this fellow write it ;)

http://www.nuxified.org/blag_an_easy_way_to_freedom

It's a nice blag review:

Quote:
All in all I think Blag Linux and Gnu is a good distribution. It works well out of the box, it comes with a decent set of packages and it makes having a Free system ever so much easier. Some may not think the last point is important, but for some, like me, who value their freedom and are too lazy to check each and every license of software the package manager wishes to install, it makes life a hell of a lot easier. If you don't care about your freedom you may consider Blag as 'Yet Another Linux Distro', but for me the simple freedom it brings to the desktop along with the one CD install makes this distribution stand out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:55 am 
Site Admin

Oh, by the way, there is a Changelog here:

http://www.blagblagblag.org/50000/Changelog

Here's some MD5SUMs for you to dream about:

Code:
bba393dc46c0f7b3fc0343d58b6f09dc  BLAG-50002.iso
7578401be90c600644e253d5f9c05268  BLAG-50002-DVD.iso
41c4bd798d0e49f711f9b934daa6d921  BLAG-50002-DVD-SRPMS.iso
8e72f07eefac9c82055d54186a950adb  BLAG-50002-CD1-SRPMS.iso
863db0147b33f9774494c85441d2e94d  BLAG-50002-CD2-SRPMS.iso

Oh, and I hope we never do ANNOUNCEMENTs like this:

Quote:
On August 24th, the International Astronomical Union redefined what is required for planet-hood. This had the result of reclassifying Pluto as a dwarf planet.

Today, we release Fedora Core 6 Test 3. We have not redefined what is required for a Fedora release, instead continuing to provide the same high quality that users have come to expect from Fedora.

WTF? Or for fc5:

Quote:
Hi, my name is Fedora Core "Bordeaux", and today I am 5. When I turned 4 last year, they got a funny salesman to talk about me like I was a toy. I like toys. But today Teacher said I am a big kid, and I should talk about myself. I can do lots of big kid stuff now, and everyone tells me that I play really well with all the other kids in class, even the ones who are mean like bullies. I always try and share, which is what Teacher says is the best thing.

Sharing is a really good thing to do. I like to share all my toys and books and stuff with all the other kids so that they can play with them and even learn things, too. I have a lot of neat stuff to share, so I made this cool list to tell you all about it. Teacher gave me some things to put in the list, but since I'm a big kid I think I should get to say what I want, too.

Man, they should be left off distrowatch just for that painful text. Ouch. I'd rather be boring. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:56 am 
Site Admin

Ok, I'm gonna be an asshole and say "I told you so!":
Quote:
Sep 26 18:57:46 <jebba_> stevo32, you wanna take a quick look at /BLAG/BLAG/RELEASE-NOTES
Sep 26 18:57:55 <jebba_> /BLAG/BLAG/ChangeLog
Sep 26 18:58:04 <jebba_> /BLAG/docs/ANNOUNCEMENT-50002
Sep 26 18:58:11 <jebba_> and make sure i don't have anything totally wrong?
Sep 26 18:58:33 <stevo32> ok
Sep 26 19:00:19 <stevo32> I'm pretty sure I brought this up last time (or earlier), but in the announcement, it might be nice so that you don't start 5 'paragraphs' in a row with blag.
Sep 26 19:01:12 <stevo32> other than that. all good :)
Sep 26 19:01:17 <stevo32> s/./,
Sep 26 19:01:58 <jebba_> blagblagbalgalbgbalgblagblag
Sep 26 19:03:52 <stevo32> ya really...

From some release that occured in February (50000?):
Quote:
Feb 02 23:59:24 <jebba> And make sure I didn't screw up anything too big before sending to lwn & distrowatch?
Feb 02 23:59:54 <stevo32> looking good!
Feb 03 00:00:07 <stevo32> except
Feb 03 00:00:09 <jebba> can you double-check links for me
Feb 03 00:00:14 <jebba> ok. 'cept wha?
Feb 03 00:00:16 <stevo32> like 6 sentences in a row start with the word BLAG
Feb 03 00:00:23 <stevo32> wait, 5.
Feb 03 00:00:33 <jebba> Oh, yea. Should only be 3. ;)
Feb 03 00:00:36 <stevo32> still, maybe you could group those first few lines together into a paragraph.
Feb 03 00:00:40 <stevo32> it'd look cleaner
Feb 03 00:01:00 <jebba> ya. i kind of agree, but well, whatever. :)

My extensive logs are coming back to haunt you! ;)

Anyhow, as for real suggestions:

Yes, it'd prolly be good to actually assemble a real PR/Marketing team. Now, there's something important here though: this team is going to have to collaborate with jeff (and the other developers) in order to get a release out the doors. So when you're on vacation, and we wanna do a release, what happens? Other than that, yeah, I think it'd be great if we had a PR team to do a little bit of blag promotion. However, nothing like the bullshit from Fedora. Just a little straightforward promotion.

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:16 pm 

ok, Ladislav was a bit dry, almost aggressive. But I think you have the right attitude in taking his comments in consideration. Of course, Blag is not about Bells & Whistles, with flashy anouncements, but a bit of PR shouldn't hurt...

Maybe more explainations for the newcomer in the main website page.

Hey, Blag is the best distro around, if it needs a bit of marketing, why not ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

As far as the website goes, if someone mocks up something in GIMP or gives me a drawing of what they want, I will be quite happy to code it. Web pages I can do :)

As for PR, chuck some ideas in this thread. Just so happens I know someone who can reword things in a marketable way and does so for a living.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:18 pm 

does this strike anyone as a better version?

==
BLAG50002 (mendoza)
===================

The second update to the Fedora Core 5 based, single-CD, 100% Free distro has been released.

Highlights for this release are the latest kernel [2.6.17-1.2187_FC5], the 'promotion' of bitlbee [1.0.3] and irssi [0.8.10] from the repo onto the main CD and updates to such major packages as firefox [1.5.0.7 -- with BLAG's unique set of activist and independent media bookmarks], gimp [2.2.13], inkscape [0.44.1], scribus [1.2.5], thunderbird [1.5.0.7] and xchat [2.6.6].

BLAG continues to have range of tools and software for the desktop user, media activist and those searching for the properly 'free' GNU/Linux experience.

BLAG -- it makes you want to go `cat /etc/blag-release`.

Community
=========

http://www.blagblagblag.org/ BLAG Website
http://forums.blagblagblag.org/ BLAG Forums
http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/ BLAG Documentation
http://bugzilla.blagblagblag.org/ BLAG Bugzilla

Coming soon
===========

The return of the BLAG-style list [or is it lists?].

Download the CD image
=====================

http://www.blagblagblag.org/torrents/BL ... so.torrent
ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/lin ... -50002.iso
http://www.blagblagblag.org/50000/iso/BLAG-50002.iso

Downloadable versions of SRPM CDs and DVDs are also available.

Please use the torrents if you can.

All the in-depth stuff
======================
BLAG Linux and GNU is a 100% Free Software distribution.

BLAG is a single-CD distro with everything desktop users "expect" from a desktop, plus a collection of nice server apps.

The 50000 series of BLAG releases is based on Fedora Core 5 and uses packages from Extras, FreshRPMS, Dries, Livna, and ATrpms. It includes all Fedora updates as of time of release.

Other updates in this release include: apt [0.5.15], audacity [1.2.4], bind [9.3.2], cups [1.2.3], glibc [2.4.11], gnomebaker [0.6.0], gpodder [0.8.0], graveman [0.3.12.5], kino [0.9.2], liferea [1.0.23], openssh [4.3p2], openssl [0.9.8a], streamripper [1.16.27] and synaptic [0.57.2].

Overall, seven new packages were added and 88 were updated.

A full changelog is available at:

http://www.blagblagblag.org/50000/Changelog
==

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:44 pm 

The r7's piece sounds good to me, but then I am not the chief editor at Distrowatch !

-Shall you maybe write at least one sentence about Kiax/Blasterisk, like something about free phonecalls ???

-How about mentionning and linking the FSF endorsement ?

-Does it make sense to also mention the IRC channel as well, where you mention the forum & wiki ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:40 am 
Site Admin

r7, that looks good to me, but so did the one I sent. ;)

Perhaps a link to the Changelog and maybe the Roadmap on the wiki as well?

Thanks!

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:15 pm 

I think we should all email Ladislav and tell him how pissed we are that he's ignoring our distro's new release. Get really indignant and say that we'll never go to his site again. Hit him in the pocketbook ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:46 pm 

ewl wrote:
I think we should all email Ladislav and tell him how pissed we are that he's ignoring our distro's new release. Get really indignant and say that we'll never go to his site again. Hit him in the pocketbook ;)

If we were as large as the Ubuntu/Fedora/Suse/Debian comunity, it would be a great option... But we are "too small"...

I believe into shaping a bit more the anouncement, and email it again to Ladislav...

Whether we like it or not, Distrowatch is what rules in the Linux world, and I don't believe we can afford to ignore it... If we do so, it is to the detriment of potential new users, who would maybe browse DW, find Blag, adopt it, participate in the comunity, help... etc...

So no ego, here... Just submit the r7's anouncement... I would modify it a bit, as suggested in my previous post in this thread... Mention Blastersisk, the IRC channel, the FSF endorsement...

Now, if Ladislav still refuses to publish us, it will be time to think about something else...