FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Mailing List

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebba
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Mailing List Reply with quote

BLAG hasn't had a mailing list since the servers disappeared in 2004. I never set them back up... We've pretty much been doing everything in the forums.

This is pretty uncommon for a free software project. I'm thinking of bringing them back, but thought I'd ping folks first for some feedback. Perhaps:
blag-announce
blag-users
blag-devel

That kind of mirrors the forums here.... Is this needless duplication? I would think blag-announce would be a pretty handy list though. blag-devel, perhaps too, if more people want to start jumping in on making this thing. blag-users? I suppose that's blaggers, eh?

As part of the "plan" to spread things out over different servers, I thought this group would be great for hosting mail and the lists:
http://www.autistici.org/en/

Ping, you're it.

-Jeff

Jason
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be a great idea. It worked before for communication to the group and can do so again.
ewl
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm for it. And if there's anything I can do to help with it, let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what help would you want, Jebba? Please "break it down" so that those who volunteer can agree on what they want to do.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For this list, at this point no help is really needed. If we want it, I think the autisitici folks will do it. After it's set up, perhaps some moderation help.

-Jeff

weyasey
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set it up...that's the best way for us to work out what we/i can or cannot do to help.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea Jebba, do so! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. Do it :-) Sounds good.
stevo32
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 vote

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The possibility of blag-legacy for those using older versions?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mailing-list sounds good... But I would go for one list only... I am in :)
iron_chef
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caraibes wrote:
The mailing-list sounds good... But I would go for one list only... I am in :)

I concur. A mailing list is a great idea. I think that only two lists are necessary though: blag-users and blag-developers. Release announcements could just go to blag-users instead of their own list.

Btw - I just wanted to say thanks for an incredible distro. I've been using it since 10K or so, but I've never actually participated in the forums or anything. I figured it was about damn time. Everything about blag is excellent - the distro, the community, the art, the politics. You guys have done it right where SO many others have not. Kudos all around.

Joe

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Glad you like the distro. :)

I'm thinking:

blag-users
blag-devel
blag-announce

I don't think we have the volume to justify blag-legacy since that can easily go to blag-users. I do think we should have blag-announce instead of just sending it to blag-users. For instance, if you are a CD redistributor, ibiblio mirror, or somesuch, you don't want to hear questions about wireless configs, but you do want to know if there is a new release or some other "big" change.

I think that pretty much covers it, no?

One thing is whether we should do email<-->forums or not. That could get quite messy. Hmm. I think there are phpBB plugins for such a thing.

-Jeff

stevo32
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, leave 'em seperate!

Other than that, away we go!

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Autistici has set up 2 of the 3 (just because I left one out in my request). I just need to do the DNS. I'm battling a failed hard drive on an indymedia server right now. When that settles, i'll get this set up.

Oh, and I think you're right, re: no forums<-->lists bounce arounds.

-Jeff

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP