FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
BLAG, Beyond the desktop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawoho
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: BLAG, Beyond the desktop Reply with quote

Hi, Is my first post, these days I've been in touch with the #blag at irc.indymedia.org
Recently I moved to Blag, now 'm very intersted in expanding blag through public and private organizations in my town.
I think that Free Sowtware must be involved in serious purposes projects like education and industry, always maintainning gnu principles...
Has someone visitted linex.org? is an excellent project in Spain - Extramadura, combines public and private efforts to support their local linux distribution. Thus users can obtain either comunity or commercial support if is needed.

Is necessary to me, to know if there is somebody who has implemented blag linux with a serious supported project.

I'd like to follow the Extramadura example for my town... Blag for schools, local industry, local government, home and professional users, etc... Is this possible whith BLAG? or should I look for another linux/Free Software comunity?

Development and implementation of tools for previosly mentionated goals would be a great success point.

Visit gnulinex.net linex.org vivernet.net

Please post any comment about expanding blag.... beyond the desktop. I'm actually using Blag as a server....

Thanks....

Jason
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a few of us actively push Linux onto people open to moving from Windows. This includes schools, workplaces and individuals. Personally I have burned over 500 copies of BLAG over time and only have a few sitting here with me. Others do the same. So we certainly get it out there though not on a mass media scale. If you have any ideas though, I am sure everyone would be open to hearing them.
contents
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to put a logo and link on my blog in order to spread the blag gospel. I looked through file system and didn't find any that looked appropriate. Did I miss any, or is there some logo from the website that I'm not thinking of?

The one on the blag page at Distrowatch looks good:

Any objections on using that? Is it the "official" blag logo?

I recently briefly introduced blag to the linux club at Beijing University. :) No converts here yet, but I'm working on it.

Last edited by contents on Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
jebba
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
blag - le brixton linux action group

works to overthrow corporate control of information and technology through community action and spreading Free Software.

I'm not sure how many governments would want to work directly with blag after reading that. ;)

In general, I think blag is better on the desktop and with more cutting-edge servers like asterisk than it is for things like apache. For apache I think debian is a bit better. That said, sites as huge as wikipedia use fedora's apache which is basically the same as blag's (or vice-versa).

You may want to check out linex as well to see how well it fits what you are looking for. I haven't used it before.

It does seem inevitable that countries in South America will start using GNU/Linux more & more as time goes on. There's big commitments in Brasil and Argentina and probably others so far.

Feel free to ask any questions about your project here, and keep us posted. :)

Oh, and the blag star/button thing that is on distrowatch is basically our "logo" which you are free to use. :)

Thanks,

-Jeff

john maclean
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google
`linux government`
`linux schools'
'linux china'
'linux africa'

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:

Oh, and the blag star/button thing that is on distrowatch is basically our "logo" which you are free to use. :)

Note that I've also done it up in SVG format. You can find the various svg versions here:
http://stevo32.no-ip.org/blag/logo/

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: BLAG as a server? Reply with quote

I've been asked to review alternatives to Red Hat on our server farm, which essentially functions as a front-end to a large disk array and a number of network data warehouse appliances. The guys in suits are unhappy with licensing fees and the patch release schedule and are reviewing alternatives like CentOS, Scientific Linux and Fedora. Dare I introduce BLAG to the conversation?
noldrin
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only two that I would consider is BLAG is the Single Server CD edition of CentOS.
berkbw
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have asked a LARGE and non-specific question. To wit:

Does your company have a mature department of programmers? (the pay now/pay later question). The difference between BLAG and RH-FC is in the tuning, if you have no tuners...

What applications does your company use that are OS specific? Are any of the licensing fees due to this?

The frequency of updates - does that mean too often - or not enough?

Does your company rush out and buy whatever it thinks it needs, off the shelf/catalog, no matter if it is likely to be "supported".

If net security is a problem, dedicate a gateway machine - or machines. easy, cheap, OS transparent.

There are major US companies that are running RH 6.0, and earlier.

NOW ---- I think that you have been the recipient of a question not yet fully formed.- which makes answers hard to aim.

Your company needs to answer "what do we NEED" - not "what have we seen that we want".

........yes - I can back up all of the impressions that you might have gotten from this post. and for less that a zillion dollars I might be able ti "fix" it. There are many on these forums who could fill the bill. And all who might be in your country (including mine) would be cheaper. You don't need me - but you DO need someone who can actually resolve the gotta from the wanta .

'nuff from me. All flames to my mail.

Best to you and yours

b-

john maclean
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this story is true the outcome will be very interesting http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7034828.stm

"..Russian students will be getting used to the Linux screen
Schoolchildren in Russia are to be taught using the free, open-source Linux software in an effort to cut the cost of teaching information technology. ..."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: BLAG as a server? Reply with quote

extraspecialbitter wrote:
I've been asked to review alternatives to Red Hat on our server farm, which essentially functions as a front-end to a large disk array and a number of network data warehouse appliances. The guys in suits are unhappy with licensing fees and the patch release schedule and are reviewing alternatives like CentOS, Scientific Linux and Fedora. Dare I introduce BLAG to the conversation?

In this setup I'd use debian.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP