BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:19 pm
Posts: 151
Location: Chicago
I'm not able to get the BBC World Service to play--(here and then click on any of the "Listen" buttons). The preferences asks to select Windows Media Player or Readplayer. I had thought that mplayer should be able to play one or both of these streams, but neither choice works for me. Is there some setting I need to change? Or am I wrong about mplayer?

Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:42 am
Posts: 223
Location: Charleston, SC USA
Well, Mplayer plug-in not working for me,but Realplayer works. (Volume is kinda low so check that it's up pretty good when listening).

No special setting that I know of.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:02 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:08 pm
Posts: 973
Location: Canada
You may need mplayer win32 codecs. Grab them from mplayer's official website and shove them in /usr/lib/codecs/.

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

_________________
E-mail me at s.clement@localhost (replace localhost with sympatico.ca) or stevo32@localhost (replace localhost with blagblagblag.org).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:19 pm
Posts: 151
Location: Chicago
Thanks much slick50 and stevo32,

Following your instructions I was able to get streaming audio to work with mplayer, though not right away. I'm not sure if this was "the right way" or "the best way". Here's what I did:

1. I downloaded the all of the "essential" codecs from the mplayer homepage here (about halfway down the page) plus the win32 codecs and the rp9 codecs from here, unpacked them, and then as root pasted all of included files into /usr/lib/codecs

2. I downloaded and installed the mplayerplug-in from here.

3. Then, according to the instructions for gnome users on the mplayerplug-in configuration page, I added this line to the .mplayer file in my home directory:
ao=esd

I am not sure if that last part was necessary. Looking around on google, I found that ao means "audio output", and that "esd" is a daemon that allows different applications to run sound at the same time.

I'm going to post another message in the development forum with questions I've come up with about this...

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group