BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Jail Time USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:50 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
A U.S. Justice Department report released on November 30 showed that a record 7 million people -- or one in every 32 American adults -- were behind bars, on probation or on parole at the end of last year...

China ranks second with 1.5 million prisoners, followed by Russia with 870,000...

The U.S. incarceration rate of 737 per 100,000 people in the highest, followed by 611 in Russia and 547 for St. Kitts and Nevis. In contrast, the incarceration rates in many Western industrial nations range around 100 per 100,000 people.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061209/ts_ ... isoners_dc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:25 pm 

Wow, that is devastating! Prisons are America's alternative to the Welfare State.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:27 pm 

That's what happens when you're in a nation where a fake grassroots movement takes place and 1 out of every 2 people think that Jesus himself will come back within the next 50 years. Oh well...

Post subject: Jail Time USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:06 pm 

Mullenbrock,

What makes you think He won't ?? Perhaps He'll come back today !!

Rob C.

mullenbrock wrote:
That's what happens when you're in a nation where a fake grassroots movement takes place and 1 out of every 2 people think that Jesus himself will come back within the next 50 years. Oh well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:43 pm 

I try not to hate on people and their faith no matter how ridiculous, because, as a matter of fact, I don't know all the answers to the universe, and I'm not going to pretend I do. It's just beliefs like that can cause problems for people that do not believe that. [/history lesson] To each his own, etc etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:41 am 

which fake grassroots movement are you referring to? There are many.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:43 am 

bohu wrote:
which fake grassroots movement are you referring to? There are many.

Reagan, Moral Majority, etc.

Post subject: Re: Jail Time USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:34 pm 

I think your calculations might be off a wee bit....1 out of 32 is a long way off from 737 out of 100,000 !!! (That equals .023584 per 32)

Is your point that the US is locking up too many innocent people ???

or that the US has the highest crime rate per 100,000 people in the world ???

My guess is that there are l lot of criminals at large in the US who should be in jail !! !!

Rob C.

jebba wrote:
Quote:
A U.S. Justice Department report released on November 30 showed that a record 7 million people -- Or one in every 32 American adults -- were behind bars, on probation or on parole at the end of last year...

China ranks second with 1.5 million prisoners, followed by Russia with 870,000...

The U.S. incarceration rate of 737 per 100,000 people in the highest, followed by 611 in Russia and 547 for St. Kitts and Nevis. In contrast, the incarceration rates in many Western industrial nations range around 100 per 100,000 people.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061209/ts_ ... isoners_dc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:45 pm 

Hey Mullenbrook,

I don't think you hate me nor do I hate you...and I don't pretend to know everything.......BUT....the bible teaches (and I do believe the bible DOES know everything) , that if you believe Jesus died for your sins with His shed blood and have accepted Him into your heart....you are going to heaven for all eternity because you sins are forgiven...

The alterative is obvious...where will you spend eternity ???

Rob C.

mullenbrock wrote:
I try not to hate on people and their faith no matter how ridiculous, because, as a matter of fact, I don't know all the answers to the universe, and I'm not going to pretend I do. It's just beliefs like that can cause problems for people that do not believe that. [/history lesson] To each his own, etc etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:43 am 
Site Admin

rob.linux wrote:
I think your calculations might be off a wee bit....1 out of 32 is a long way off from 737 out of 100,000 !!! (That equals .023584 per 32)

It's the article's calculations, not mine, fwiw. But you're comparing apples and oranges. One number was the number of adults behind bars, the others that are in the prison system (e.g. parole and such).

rob.linux wrote:

No, just that it's the largest prison system on earth and what that implies about a supposedly free country.

rob.linux wrote:
My guess is that there are l lot of criminals at large in the US who should be in jail !! !!

rob.linux wrote:
the bible teaches

Ya, Jesus was really in favor putting people behind bars, just like you. WWJD? Be quite unlike you, methinks.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:17 am 

His mission was not to clean up crime but to save sinners.....that includes everyone....and that's what He did. All you have to do is believe !!

John 3:16

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:35 am 

rob.linux wrote:

or that the US has the highest crime rate per 100,000 people in the world ???

The point is that the U.S. is a very punitive society. The majority of criminals in the poenal system are guilty of non-violent crimes relating to drug possession. Our answer to the drug problem is to put the possessor in jail. Most other countries try to deal with the root causes of drug abuse. We also kill more people through the death penalty than other countries even though there is no evidence that the death penalty deters violent crime. Is it any wonder that a society that justifies retribution and punishment so strongly also happens to be one of the most violent countries in the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

rob.linux wrote:
His mission was not to clean up crime...

Ya, i heard the story.

I just find it unusual how often supposed followers of his say things like:

Quote:
My guess is that there are l lot of criminals at large in the US who should be in jail

It's along the lines of killing for jesus... It just doesn't conform with what he taught. Well, you'll twist it anyway you want. Nothing much i can do about that....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

I'll add that the UK's prison system is now officially full in that the Home Office has writen a letter to **every** judge in the country, urging them not to jail non-violent criminals. Police stations are being used as jails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:10 pm 

What do you recommend that society does with rapists , murderers, theives etc...give them the keys to your house and car ?? (and wife or daughter??)

jebba wrote:
rob.linux wrote:
His mission was not to clean up crime...

Ya, i heard the story.

I just find it unusual how often supposed followers of his say things like:

Quote:
My guess is that there are l lot of criminals at large in the US who should be in jail

It's along the lines of killing for jesus... It just doesn't conform with what he taught. Well, you'll twist it anyway you want. Nothing much i can do about that....