FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Is BLAG for me?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
breezy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Is BLAG for me? Reply with quote

Came across this distro on distrowatch... Basically I'm relatively new to linux but I want to find something that will meet my needs.
Will BLAG be right for me?

I want dual booting with grub... I dont want the distro to be saturated with tons of pre-installed applications... Easy to install... and very hardware friendly.

Does BLAG meet this?

I was messing around with FC4 but I got the dual boot working but couldn't get the GUI to work right for whatever reason. That's a different story though.

stevo32
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will be suitable for your needs.

Try it and find out.

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab the iso image and burn it. Install via "minimal". This will have just the right number of packages to produce a "basic" working system. You could then install everythign else from source, the repositary or not at all if you so wished.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for the same thing, breezy, apart from dual booting, and BLAG was perfect :)

qfwfq5or7
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is BLAG for me? Reply with quote

breezy wrote:

I want dual booting with grub... I dont want the distro to be saturated with tons of pre-installed applications... Easy to install... and very hardware friendly.

Does BLAG meet this?

I was messing around with FC4 but I got the dual boot working but couldn't get the GUI to work right for whatever reason. That's a different story though.

I would say so, yes.
BLAG should suit you nicely.

-Dual-booting should be no problem. I've done it easily here.

-the single install disk keeps extraneous crap to a minimum and still has everything you need, and synaptic to get what's not here already that you want.

-BLAG has been very friendly on various boxes here that would not install any version of fedora at all (would install and then be incapable of starting X or whatever)

-Everyone here in blagland has been very helpful when I've run into various difficulties.

imho, you should go for it.

S.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: How about me? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I would like to ask the exact same question as Breezy, but with different qualifications;
I recently came into possession of an old piece of crap computer with less than seven gigs on it and I wasn't sure what to do with it. After asking a few of my more computer literate and, dare I say, Hacker friends it was suggested I put linux on it to help me learn about software and computers in general. I've spent a good portion of my life on windows systems, but I never really gained much more than a working knowledge of them(probably because I always had "hacker" friends I could call up for techsupport). What I am mainly looking for is something relatively small and very customizable; Something that doesn't have everything already automated, but still user friendly enough for a guy like me to figure out.
On my first attempt at finding something like this I jumped in way over my head with Slackware 10.2--even using online tutorials I was unable to configure everything.

Another must is for it to be compatible with a windows network, as my main computer and all others in my house run on XP.

I appriciate any input, and if you don't think Blag is for me, i'd appriciate any suggestions as to what might be.

Thanks!

jebba
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, BLAG is pretty straightforward to install & use. That said, you can dig into it and get as dirty as you want. It's much easier than slackware.

One way to learn is to just try a few different distros, say BLAG, debian, & ubuntu, for example. See what you like. :)

-Jeff

qfwfq5or7
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go for it.
BLAG rocks.
It is also MUCH easier than slackware, debian, ubuntu, and various other flavors I have tasted, both installing and configuring.
Your hacker friends are right here.

As far as M$ networking, that's just a samba wrestling match (not dependent on which flavor of linux, just make sure you install it), but samba's been getting easier to manage lately, too (for me, anyway). If you know how to do it in XP, BLAG shouldn't be to difficult to figure out.

Before you know it, you won't want to use XP again, and you'll have BLAGs all over the house.

;-),
S.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys, i'll give BLAG and a couple other dists a shot. If I decide to stick with blag, i'll be back on the forum registered and everything = )

On an unlreated note, I love your philosophies.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP