BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:56 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:08 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:17 pm
Posts: 4492
Location: Loveland, Colorado, USA
contents wrote:
We could email the maintainers to get the lowdown.


Ya, i think the lowdown is already buried throughout various lists. ;) Anyway, I think my take on the lowdown is correct, but let me know if i got it wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:19 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:17 pm
Posts: 4492
Location: Loveland, Colorado, USA
I just put up a live CD version of BLAG 69k on the ftp site:

ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/blag/linux/70000/en/iso/

liveBLAG-*

To install from the CD, check out `/usr/bin/liveinst` (I'll add an icon for this on the desktop).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:07 am
Posts: 699
liveBLAG runs really well. I was surfing around the internet, managed to crash X, and then X wouldn't restart, giving me an error that it can't start in frame buffer mode, please specify busID.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:16 pm
Posts: 56
Here are softwares I'd like to see included by default in BLAG: Audacious, EasyTag, Totem, Serpentine, Eye of Gnome and F-Spot.

I think all these applications fit well with BLAG as a Free operating system with an easy use of multimedia applications.

The problem is what to remove to remain a one CD distro (which is important according to me). Xmms is not maintained anymore and was replaced by Audacious. The CD player is already present in Audacious. GnomeBaker could be removed since Serpentine is easier to record audio CDs and CD/DVD creator built in Gnome does the rest. GThumb could be removed in favor of Eye Of Gnome + F-Spot.

I'm aware that it is not enough. What about removing Scribus? I think this application is too "professional" and, as a consequence, not that much used. Same thing for Blender. Istanbul is very rarely useful (Is it that important in our daily life to record our sessions?), QTParted too. Maybe both could be removed...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:38 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:17 pm
Posts: 4492
Location: Loveland, Colorado, USA
Magic Banana wrote:
Here are softwares I'd like to see included by default in BLAG: Audacious, EasyTag, Totem, Serpentine, Eye of Gnome and F-Spot.


Ya, audacious may make it in over xmms, but the latter /always/ works so i'm hesitant to remove it.

Easytag has been in there in the past. It's about 1 meg. Not sure if it's worth it or not.

I find xine/mplayer far better than totem. Why totem over xine/mplayer?

Serpentine requires totem. ;) Maybe that's one argument for totem...

Why EoG over gthumb?

F-Spot requires mono, so it will never be on the CD.

Magic Banana wrote:
I'm aware that it is not enough. What about removing Scribus? I think this application is too "professional" and, as a consequence, not that much used. Same thing for Blender. Istanbul is very rarely useful (Is it that important in our daily life to record our sessions?), QTParted too. Maybe both could be removed...


Scribus is pretty nice, but could be on a shortlist for removal due to what you say about "professional": your average user just doesn't need it.

I've already yanked blender in the 69k alphas I've done and it probably wont come back.

Istanbul is only a whopping 110k, so it's not going to add much space to remove it. I was also hoping people would start "filming" HOWTOs and such as it's a great way to learn how to do things.

qtparted is going to be replaced by gparted most likely. I think it's useful enough to include, no? Plus they aren't too big.

-Jeff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:16 pm
Posts: 56
jebba wrote:
Ya, audacious may make it in over xmms, but the latter /always/ works so i'm hesitant to remove it.


The titles which contain accents are not correctly displayed by Xmms. Esthetically the GTK2 is much more pleasant. Furthermore I guess GTK1 could be removed! (that's quite some space!). Since Audacious is a fork of Xmms once its development was stopped. So? Let's be audacious? ;-)

jebba wrote:
Easytag has been in there in the past. It's about 1 meg. Not sure if it's worth it or not.


I think it is. :-)

jebba wrote:
I find xine/mplayer far better than totem. Why totem over xine/mplayer?

Serpentine requires totem. ;) Maybe that's one argument for totem...


Yes. That is one of the arguments.Totem is also esthetically more appealing and easier to use because only the essential things are present. For a newbie, that is an important point. Mplayer should not be removed when the simplicity of Totem gets in our way and because mplayerplug-in performs very nicely. However, is Xine really essential? I do not really see any advantage over a couple Mplyer + Totem. Xine is not as powerful as Mplayer (in command line) and not as user friendly as Totem.

jebba wrote:
Why EoG over gthumb?

F-Spot requires mono, so it will never be on the CD.


It was EoG + F-Spot over gThumb. EoG is very light and, as a consequence nice to look quickly at a few pictures. For the slide shows, F-Spot does the job. And it does much more about classifying pictures, editing them easily (not like Gimp), exporting them to Web galleries, etc. I think this kind of software is a must have nowadays (almost every family has a digital camera). Sure it is based on mono (a terrible idea), but I do not think there is a better choice (the only one I know would be Digikam but it is based on KDE...).

What do you think of adding Serpentine and removing GnomeBaker?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:54 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:17 pm
Posts: 4492
Location: Loveland, Colorado, USA
Magic Banana wrote:
jebba wrote:
Ya, audacious may make it in over xmms, but the latter /always/ works so i'm hesitant to remove it.


The titles which contain accents are not correctly displayed by Xmms. Esthetically the GTK2 is much more pleasant. Furthermore I guess GTK1 could be removed! (that's quite some space!). Since Audacious is a fork of Xmms once its development was stopped. So? Let's be audacious? ;-)


Ok, the GTK1 thing is a good point. So I'll yank gtk1/xmms in favor of audacious (unless stevo32 has a strong objection for some reason).

Magic Banana wrote:
jebba wrote:
I find xine/mplayer far better than totem. Why totem over xine/mplayer?

Serpentine requires totem. ;) Maybe that's one argument for totem...


Yes. That is one of the arguments.Totem is also esthetically more appealing and easier to use because only the essential things are present. For a newbie, that is an important point. Mplayer or Xine should not be removed when the simplicity of Totem gets in our way.


Ok. I'm not against having mplayer/xine/totem all there if we can stuff them all in ok.

Magic Banana wrote:
jebba wrote:
Why EoG over gthumb?

F-Spot requires mono, so it will never be on the CD.


It was EoG + F-Spot over gThumb.


There's no way in hell fspot will be on the cd due to mono. plonkito


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:07 am
Posts: 699
jebba wrote:
Ok, the GTK1 thing is a good point. So I'll yank gtk1/xmms in favor of audacious (unless stevo32 has a strong objection for some reason).


At first I was against it because xmms seems to have more plug-ins which I find useful, but then I realized that since those aren't on the CD anyways, if one needed the functionality of the plug-ins they can just download xmms at the same time. My only other small gripe with audacious is I haven't been able to find the default skin for xmms as a skin for audacious, but that's not a big deal.

jebba wrote:
Ok. I'm not against having mplayer/xine/totem all there if we can stuff them all in ok.


Finally in BLAG 69K, I can open xine and be able to handle that opening animation, so I feel less negative towards it. I've been trying to use gxine too, although I still think it has more work needed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:07 am
Posts: 699
also, I think you can probably remove from the archive audicious-extras as it seems to be for version 1.1.2 and seems to be replace with audicious-plugins-extras

also it seems like their are conflicts between the installed codecs, the plugin pack, and the individual plungs in the 70k repo. I didn't have the conflict problems with the 60k on friday basically trying to install everything available for audicious. The above 1.1.2 problem was in the 60k repo thoough

One last note since I noticed this at the same time, in 60K and 70k, the mplayer skin rpm doesn't add the skins to mplayer. Perhaps a different rpm should be used or a new one built. I'll look around for one if I have time later.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:16 pm
Posts: 56
noldrin wrote:
Finally in BLAG 69K, I can open xine and be able to handle that opening animation, so I feel less negative towards it. I've been trying to use gxine too, although I still think it has more work needed.


But is there any advantage in having Xine along Mplayer (for its power) and Totem (for its simplicity/beauty)?

What about Serpentine (and the CD/DVD creator integrated in Nautilus) over GnomeBaker?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:07 am
Posts: 699
Magic Banana wrote:
What about Serpentine (and the CD/DVD creator integrated in Nautilus) over GnomeBaker?


I don't know, can it: blank CD-RW, format DVD+-RW, Copy CD, Copy DVD? I can't figure out how to do DATA CD and DVD. The only thing I've found is burning images. Personally I've always found apps far more useful than the all in one desktop GUI. I'd rather kick Nautilus to the road and use a real file manager application.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:07 am
Posts: 699
Debian considers removing xmms

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.de ... ral/116761


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:16 pm
Posts: 56
I have just discovered nautilus-image-converter. It adds two entries to the contextual menu (obtained by a right click) of a picture or a set of pictures:
1) Resize Images...
2) Rotate Images...

This is pretty useful to quickly rotate pictures you have made with a "portrait layout" and then make all of them "uploadable" thanks to a mass resize. I think it would be a nice addition on the CD. The space cost is quasi null since both nautilus and ImageMagick are already there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:07 am
Posts: 699
I just realized that the last time I rebooted my machine was when the LiveCD came out. Since then I've been booted into the 69K.

[jason@gollum ~]$ uptime
16:52:34 up 21 days, 5:59, 3 users, load average: 1.61, 1.47, 0.87


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: GNU Project Software
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:26 pm
Posts: 42
I would like to see more GNU software available, such as mailutils. See http://directory.fsf.org/gnu/.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group