FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
70k: Requests here!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebba
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott wrote:
Any preference between the latest Fedora and the latest vanilla as a starting point?

Your call. Perhaps check them both out. The latest vanilla may have some issues with Xen--feel free to leave that out as the xen hackers can make their own kernels ;)

Just attach the .spec to this bugzilla ticket:
http://bugzilla.blagblagblag.org/show_bug.cgi?id=794

Very cool. Thanks. :)))

-Jeff

noldrin
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps BLAG could default associate RPM files will running 'apt-get install' in a terminal window. This would perhaps get users getting dependencies the right way instead of hunting for them.
klhrevolutionist
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My request is that you optimize this release suitable for older computers.

Go with xfce instead of gnome as xfce can mimic most of what gnome does & it is lighter and does'nt put strain on the older computer..

stevo32
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noldrin wrote:
perhaps BLAG could default associate RPM files will running 'apt-get install' in a terminal window. This would perhaps get users getting dependencies the right way instead of hunting for them.

Aiee! That'd scare the new users. ;) Nevermind what (doesn't) happens if the package isn't in the repo...

...however, if there was a way to have it just grab dependencies from the repo in a graphical manner, that'd work great. Unfortunately, there's no such thing at the moment.

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo32 wrote:

Aiee! That'd scare the new users. ;) Nevermind what (doesn't) happens if the package isn't in the repo...

...however, if there was a way to have it just grab dependencies from the repo in a graphical manner, that'd work great. Unfortunately, there's no such thing at the moment.

It just doesn't seem good to default to installing the rpm when it probably won't have the dependencies needed. Perhaps it should just save it to the desktop. It would seem rather easy for synaptic to add this feature.

stevo32
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noldrin wrote:
when it probably won't have the dependencies needed. Perhaps it should just save it to the desktop. It would seem rather easy for synaptic to add this feature.

Got a patch handy? ;)

For the time being, this is the easiest way for new users.

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a request:

Can we please replace the GNOME Office tools (AbiWord, etc.) with the OpenOffice suite?

I just recently apt-get'ed OpenOffice and I must say, it is much better at handling large documents, Word files, etc. It's the small things that count, and OpenOffice performs quite well.

So, may we?

noldrin
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not just like it's a choice of color. It's also a question of physical limitations on the media:

Abiword 6442 KB
Gnumeric 11915 KB

Oo.o Core 90097 KB
Oo.o Calc 7827 KB
Oo.o Writer 3096 KB

You need to find 80 megs of stuff to take off of the BLAG CD in order to propose fitting on OO.o. Not to quote the Democrats in the USA, but it's "pay as you go" Since the CD is full, if you want new spending, you have to find something to cut. Otherwise Jebba has nothing to even consider here.

jebba
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the fact that OOo bring in lots more than just those files! And the fact that you need a supercomputer to get it to launch and...
noldrin
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
and the fact that OOo bring in lots more than just those files! And the fact that you need a supercomputer to get it to launch and...

Perhaps the solution would be to make the DVD version more functional as the "DVD edition of BLAG" rather than a developers only DVD version. Then the question isn't what to put into BLAG, but what to put into the BLAG CD edition. Although: If you are downloading it anyway tho, You might as well download stuff through Synaptic than to download ISOs.

jebba
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would the DVD version be made more functional? I'm not saying it's not lacking (at all), i'm just curious what improvements in particular you'd like to see.

-Jeff

pfe1223
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About OO.org, if punji gets going with the release, you can create your own version. I think these "Requests for version x.xx will be a thing of the past. What I would like to see Blag do is create a web application that would allow you to create a fictional distribution that would tell you how big your selections would total before actually creating your personalized distribution. For example:

Blag base: x megs
Gnome: x megs
OO.org: x megs
Firefox: x megs
Total: x megs; 1 disc

Creating this, Blag users could mix and match until they get exactly what they want in terms of features and size. Anyways, it is just a thought.

Duanarchy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see XFCE as the default. If not, I'd at least like to see it as an alternative option (add black star as icon, etc).

I'd also like to see an "add-on" cd-rom. One with extra blag graphics, etc.

The black star was what made me finally install this distro, it's what sets this distro apart from all others, in my opinion. So, I'd like to see the politics pushed much more.

Thanks!

pfe1223
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, you can see how Max Spevack (head of Fedora) is working on shrinking Fedora to as small as possible without giving up on funtionality. Jebba, I know that you are always looking for ways to create a little extra space to try and accommodate the needs of your users. Just thought you may find this interesting.
jebba
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfe1223 wrote:
Here, you can see how Max Spevack (head of Fedora) is working on shrinking Fedora to as small as possible without giving up on funtionality. Jebba, I know that you are always looking for ways to create a little extra space to try and accommodate the needs of your users. Just thought you may find this interesting.

cool thanks, i'll read it immediately :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BLAG Forum Index -> development Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP