FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
1000&distupgrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebba
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
Ok after reinstalling blag 10000 twice and having problems after running system upgrade in synaptic I now ran apt-get for my third try. Apt-get installed everything fine with no problems. I can still read all my text :) Also, I did not receive any error during install like I did before with the vim error I had. It is odd to think that it is a synaptic bug cause I used synaptic a week ago to upgrade and I had no problems. Was there a new release of synaptic added recently?

WTF? The version of synaptic up there is from July 22nd. There are newer versions of synaptic available (source) but no packages from Dag or Freshrpms. I haven't seen any issues reported on the freshrpms mailing list which would undoutably have lots of people noticing if synaptic had been busted for 2 months...

/me a bit baffled...

-Jeff

Chris
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, today I installed Balg 10000 on a completely different computer. This one being a Gateway Pentium III 550mhz,128mb memory, 4mb s3 video card. Anyways, I once again tried running system update in synaptic. Once again I got the same vim minimal error and after installing all the packages no text.
TSS_Killer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then that means only one thing...you burned the iso wrong.
Chris
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that means I burned the cd wrong? I had no problems during install or afterwards. The only problem I had was when I tried to run system update. However, once again apt-get updates fine with no problems but after running it in synaptic my text dissapears.
crane
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a spare computer taht I will try an experiment on.
this evening I will install blag 10000 then use synaptic to update one or two pakages at a time untill the problem shows itself. Maybe we can try to pinpoint the problem.
I have yet to find the source that I used to repair suse when this problem happened.

May take a couple nights to update all pkaages but maybe just maybe it will help
:D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick question?

is it just 10000 that this problem is showing up in?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, I had no prblem with Blag 9002, which I just tested. However, I have not tried it with Blag 20000 yet since I know it is still in the developement stages,
Chris
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I just reloaded Blag 10000. This time with a newly burned CD that I burned very slow to make sure it was accurate. Once again same problem. I can't figure it out. There must have been something changed recently in the repository or something to make this happen. I also, tested it on my home computer using a separate hard drive. I have been running blag 10000 for quite some time on my home system without a problem but when I reinstalled and ran synaptic system update the same thing happened. Let me say once again. This never happened on my hope PC before when running system update in synaptic.
slick50
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something changed. cause I got 10000 on my wife's machine put it on there about the time it came out, used synmatic every time no problems Reloaded my machine about when all this came about used synmatic no text at all log out in root ok user lost all text after Reloading and using apt-get no problems hadn't happen since so must be alot of users having the same problem...

ken

jebba
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are installing, are you using fresh /home directories, or are the users settings preserved? I mean you may have something jacked in ~/.gnome* or ~/.gtk or one of them ~/.g* dirs
slick50
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is kinda weird thing, I do a desktop install and do my own partion / swap Don't change the default setting go right to the desktop and use synmatic and bam loose the text But if I do the apt-get works great! Maybe its a Gnome problem? Kinda weird that not everyone can produce this? Hey mine ok now so better leave this with the developers... :?
jebba
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slick50, I guess my question is whether you have a new /home directory or if your old one is coming along.
slick50
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I reloaded, The last time I used complete format on that partiton cause I have to have windoz for repairing most folks comps. Blag I use 10 gigs So I really don't know what causing it? Im not as good with linux as windoz.... Thats all I know. Learning every day! (using a athalon xp 2800 soyo mb 256 ddr :)
jebba
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slick50 wrote:
When I reloaded, The last time I used complete format on that partiton cause I have to have windoz for repairing most folks comps. Blag I use 10 gigs So I really don't know what causing it? Im not as good with linux as windoz.... Thats all I know. Learning every day! (using a athalon xp 2800 soyo mb 256 ddr :)

okidoki. The times it was failing were you using your OLD /home or was it a fresh format?

slick50
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I know what you are geting at yes I formated my old /home ok :D
(Ya think thats the problem?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BLAG Forum Index -> support Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP