BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: alpha on a laptop
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:19 pm 

hi folks, i'm still wanting to get BLAG 20k on my laptop, i'm running it on a desktop with win2k (disconnected win drive during install) happily, but as on the laptop i have to rely on one disk i dont want to screw up the pre installed win poop, what i was thinking is, is it possible to install 10k then do upgrade to 20k without causing probs with mbr?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

I assume when you're talking about 20k & the MBR, you mean the problem where it clobbers XP? If you're not running XP, I think you'll be fine. If you are running XP, I think an upgrade would clobber it same as an install would.

That said, I think you can easily get around the XP problem by setting your drive to LBA in the BIOS. I haven't tested this though, as I don't have XP...

There's a thread in this forum all about this issue.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:39 am 

I have alpha running on a laptop dual booting with XP and had no problem with the install well only a minor one. After installation just went back to Windows bring up a command prompt and did this " CHKDSK /F" without the quotes if you know what I mean and that solved the problem.

It's been running now since 19999.00067 first hit the road it has now reached 19999.00071 going 19999.00081 soon 8)

XP still running ok but hardly use it now, just mount the partition and read the files including some avi with Blag. I must add, I did the partition for Blag using Partition Magic I made the Ext3 and Swap before trying the Blag install

Hope that helps
Weyasey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:20 pm 

cheers for that input, i too made partitions with partition magic and have installed a few flavors so far, have left suse on at the moment but you have just changed that. actually in my travels i have found that suse has the same mbr problem, which i guess didn't touch me as i already had the necessary partitions, some reading i found pointed to a fault within parted, so it seems its best to avoid that part of an install.

so i guess there is nothing stopping me blaging now, great news!