BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: browsing isn't stealing
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:04 pm 

I've found some posts dissing people for leaving their wireless unsecured.

Quote:
Oh, did I also mention that DHCP is not nice? Why can't you manually assign IP addresses? Lack of any DHCP server n your LAN would also help if some neighbour steals your Wi-Fi, without a DHCP server he'll have to guess your IP subnet, default router, and DNS addresses

what's wrong with leaving the network unsecured for your neighbours to use? mutual aid and cooperation and all that...

I've got internet access just now but i move around a lot and sometimes its nice to be able to piggy back off other people for a while so i leave the network unsecured when i've got one.

i suppose at some point someone might go crazy and download loads of movies, maxing out my usage limit like i would do if i could crack the corporation i live next to...

i guess it's about the definition of theft. I don't see how its stealing to surf the web.

it would be nice if there was a way to allow browsing but not excessive downloading. maybe there is...

lem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:52 pm 

The only problem is any illegal activity that someone does on your unsecured network will likely be traced back to your account.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:49 am 
Site Admin

"he'll have to guess your IP subnet, default router, and DNS addresses"

Absolutely not. Easily findable with kismet.

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hrm. Funny topic this one. Three people have been arrested and charged for "stealing wifi bandwidth" recently in the UK. Made headline news with the usual "hacker invasion from mars" type headlines.

Stevo's right in that kismet and other tools like aircrack can find out what one would need to know, (theoretically speaking of course).

Edited to add:

/*chuckles*/ Oh yeah. There was a video I saw on the net about hacking/jacking and all of that stuff. A guy driving around Washington DC in his car was saying...

"..yeah, I'm a wireless security consultant and I advise government agencies on how to secure their networks." I had a really good look at his laptop - he was running netstumbler ffs! /*chuckles*/

That windows tool throws more noise into the air than busses do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:20 pm 

Agreed, my isp recently blocked me from serving files. I see this as censorship as they could have easily charged me for any extra bandwidth that I may have been using.

Control issues I guess...