FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Howto/solution: change mouse cursor - beautiful red pointer!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fcassia
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Howto/solution: change mouse cursor - beautiful red pointer! Reply with quote

I pulled my hair reading all the contradicting and conflicting info on changing mouse pointers. Most of the stuff on the net is seriously outdated. For instance you often find results from XFree86 lists several years back saying that Linux mouse cursors can only be black and white.

This ironically seems true at first sight, when one realizes that blag (and apparently FC6 as well) only ships with white and bluecurve mouse pointers.

This is NOT what I like. I like a nice RED coloured mouse pointer, and I remember spending some time back in 1995-96 drawing my own set of red pointers for IBM's OS/2 at the time. I was so young back then... ;) but I digress...

Here's how to install beautiful RED mouse pointers in blag 6K:

I have settled on one of two choices: "red mix" and "Komix". I'll let you guys decide which ones are better...

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
1. As root, from a shell do
cd /usr/share/icons

2. If you want Komix...
wget http://art4linux.org/pages/download/cursors/Komix-0.1.tar.gz
tar xvfz ./Komix-0.1.tar.gz
tar xvfz ./Komix-0.1/Komix-Red-Regular.tar.gz
tar xvfz ./Komix-0.1/Komix-Red-Large.tar.gz

Go to System->Preferences->Mouse
Click on the "Pointer" tab, scroll down and find Komix_Red below LBlueCurve. Click on that option. DONE!

3. If you want "red mix"
wget http://www.kde-look.org/CONTENT/content-files/5605-cursor_mix.tgz
tar xvfz ./5605-cursor_mix.tgz
Go to System->Preferences->Mouse
Click on the "Pointer" tab, scroll down and find "cursor_mix" at bottom. Click on that option. DONE!
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I'd vote for having Jebba add these GPL mouse pointers sets to the default blag CD...

Hope this helps...
FC
PS: I still have to find out how to batch-create png versions bigger than the default 32x32 from the provided svg sources in cursor_mix, and do so in an "automated batch" way, as the default size look a bit small on my screen resolution. Thoughts? ideas?

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP