BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:35 am 

Greetings,
I'm looking for opinions and maybe some guidance. My question is about the multiple desktops option.

First, why would one want 4 desktops? How are they used? It is something I'm not accustomed to, so I reduced to one desktop. Now I think I might be missing out on something, so maybe I want them back.

Second, how do I get multiple desktops back?

Third, if I get them back, can I have a different background in each? Can the theme be different, and if so, how do I do that.

That's all for now.

Mike H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:54 am 

Multiple desktop is a great feature. You just need to be accustomed to it to consider it essential.

The idea is to decide what goes where. For example, at work, my first desktop is for Emacs (for writing in AUC TeX or programming in C++), my second desktop is either for Evince (documentation) or Meld (a graphical diff to easily compare two versions of one of my source file), My third desktop is for Firefox and my fourth desktop is for Gnome Terminal.

Everything is in Full Screen Mode. The terminal (Desktop 4) and Nautilus opened on my documentation folder( Desktop 2) are started when I open my session. I use the keyboard shortcuts to quickly switch between desktops. I set Ctrl+X to move to desktop X and Ctl+Alt+X to move the current window to desktop X. That is much faster than multiple Alt+Tab (which I still use for example on the Firefox desktop).

To get back your multiple desktop, the easier, I think, is to add to one of your panels the "switch desktop component" (I do not know how it is called in English), then right click on it and choose the preferences to settle every option as you wish.

I do not know how to have, with Gnome, different wallpapers on each desktop. As far as I remember it is, on the contrary, easy to do with KDE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

You'll probably ask yourself this question again when you have loads of applications cluttering up a single "desktop".... Move them about between the workspaces. Create as many workspaces as you like and relieve yourself of the clutter.

You should see a panel along the top or bottom of the screen. see that things with four boxes? Use that with <left> to switch between them...

My example:-
workspace 1:
terminal 1 [non-root user on local machine]
terminal 2 [root user on local machine]
terminal 3 [non-root user on local machine]

workspace 2:
terminal 1 [shell into remote machine #1]
terminal 2 [shell into remote machine #2]
terminal X[shell into remote machine #X]

workspace 3:
evince for reading *pdf docs

workspace 4:
emails

workspace 5:
web browser

Once you get into them can't live without them. Almost like having as many monitors in your house as you want.... Great for laptops!

http://www.jayeola.org/Coppermine/displ ... m=1&pos=10
^^ top left hand corner shows six workspaces in operation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:59 pm 

I find multiple diesktops very handy, especially when working on a lot of stuff. Sometimes I have different things going on different ones.. other time things will just get too busy on one desktop and I'll jump to a new one. There is a program to put different wallpapers on your desktop, although I'm not sure if BLAG repos has the most recent version or not which is really needed not get it running at all.

Yes, the wallpaper support in gnome blows chunks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

You -can- have different wallpapers when you use Enlightenment. I find it simpler to rename my workspaces when I use something like fluxbox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

Multiple desktops is one of the great things of the Linux (unix) desktops for me. On my laptop I use 21 desktops, most with a specific purpose so I always know what's where. For example, the upper left (1st) desktop is email, the next one gaim/xchat, the next firefox, the next blasterisk/seamonkey, the next couple related to audio (remote system + xmms), the bottom left first 3 are for developing blag, the bottom right local xterms, the center over two is liferea, etc....

Very freakin handy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:04 am 

Thanks,
I have started using them, and well, it doesn't take long to get used to it. Now I wish I would have had left them in place from the start. Very handy.

Mike H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:59 pm 

Try using different wallpaper on different desktops, try Wallpapoz Although you'll want the most recent version (I think I had to download that from somewhere besides blag) It can also randomize the wallpaper. Pretty nice.. but a little sluggish when moving to a new desktop.. I don't think it's as nice as it first sounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, and the best way to quickly navigate to desktops is to hold down ctrl-alt and use the arrow keys to move around. zip zip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:28 am 
Site Admin

Vista Vs. Beryl watch and weep!
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doc ... &plindex=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:37 am 

very good question. personally, i find absolutely no use for them though. i'm only talented enough to do one thing at a time, so thusly, i usually only have one window open at a time, one desktop at a time, one of anything running at a time, etc......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:05 pm 

the classic use of multiple desktops is when you're at work - have the stuff you're supposed to be doing on one desktop, and stuff you're not supposed to be doing on another. then just ctrl+alt+<- when the boss walks in :P