BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Newbie questions
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:58 am 

Hello everyone, I recently learned of the free software movement and honestly I really want to start using more free software. The only thing is I have no idea where to start. I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers to help me out switching from windows. It would be much apriciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:42 am 

Greetings I bring from BLAG!

I'm not the one to be helping as much as being helped, but I encourage you in your desire to switch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:55 pm 

I still retain an install of windows for work, but all the software I install is free software. For windows, I often find a lot of free software here. although be warned that some of the software is not free, but I use it since it's more complete and up to date then the free software only pages.

http://osswin.sourceforge.net/

Also, get yourself a second older computer and put BLAG on it and have some fun playing around. If you can't get a hold of a second computer, you can use the GParted CD to shrink your windows partition and install BLAG in the new free space.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:06 am 

Okies I was planning on getting a new computer anyway so that will help. Also I was wondering is it diffcult to switch over from all propritory software to free software?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:06 am 

It is not. Install BLAG, enjoy life, (get the chicks)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:06 pm 

Half_Pint wrote:
I was wondering is it difficult to switch over from all proprietary software to free software?

Linux in general has improved to the point where there are one or more high-quality free applications corresponding to virtually every mainstream Windows-based application. BLAG in particular has packaged an excellent representative collection of these applications into one CD for your computing pleasure. Heck - with the BLAG Live CD you can "test drive" it without altering your existing PC until you're absolutely convinced that you're ready to take the plunge. It's all gain and no pain...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:24 pm 

Half_Pint wrote:
Okies I was planning on getting a new computer anyway so that will help. Also I was wondering is it diffcult to switch over from all propritory software to free software?

Well you can start right away, a lot of free apps are also available for windows. I found the free apps more enjoyable to use. You might not get the same functionality, but I generally find the free apps more useful. Here is an exampe of what BLAG has:

http://www.blagblagblag.org/60000/features/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:58 pm 

I agree with all the others who've posted so far. In my experience, and I've been using Linux since 1996, there's exactly one major obstacle that people have to overcome before totally giving up Windows, and that's the "Games" factor. If you're not a gamer, then you have absolutely nothing to lose. Seriously.

As extraspecialbitter mentioned, GNU/Linux has gotten to the point where there is at least one, and often several, free replacement(s) for any given commercial WIndows app. I find that more often than not, free software is much more enjoyable and robust than it's proprietary counterpart.

If you're an avid gamer and don't want to get rid of WIndows completely, you can always dual-boot, or keep an extra gaming machine. That's what a lot of people do. I say just go for it. Grab a copy of Blag and don't look back. You won't regret it. This forum is an EXCELLENT resource for beginner questions and support (another thing you just won't find in the Windows world).

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:33 pm 

I was interested in computer up through Doom, and perhaps Quake. This happens to work out pretty well for me in free software terms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:37 pm 

Exactly. That's about when I stopped caring about computer games too.

noldrin wrote:
I was interested in computer up through Doom, and perhaps Quake. This happens to work out pretty well for me in free software terms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:02 am 

I'm no gamer though are there at least some games? I'm not talking about huge amazing overly done graphics or even graphics at all but simple tiny things perfect for the procrastinator in all of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:13 am 
Site Admin

You can also try GNU/Linux by downloading and burning a live CD. When you boot with this it's a "live linux session" in that you run Linux but you are not actually installing it on the node. Gives you a chance to try stuff out without actually comming anything. Once you quit or reboot that node all of the "windows files" are still there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:44 am 

Half_Pint wrote:
I'm no gamer though are there at least some games? I'm not talking about huge amazing overly done graphics or even graphics at all but simple tiny things perfect for the procrastinator in all of us.

There are many games. Even "overly done graphics" ones! I am thinking of Nexuiz, Frozen Bubble, Neverball/Neverputt, Open Transport Tycoon, FooBillard, Tremulous, Oolite, Globulation 2, X-Moto, Warzone 2100, BZFlag, Armagetron Advanced, etc.

You probably don't know any of them but they really worth playing! If you want to know everything about playing on GNU/Linux, several web sites deal with that. For instance http://happypenguin.org

Soon will even take place the first "Freedomware Gaming Festival" : http://www.nuxified.org/article/the_fir ... warming_up

Notice that I only talk about Free games but every Doom/Quake/Unreal is natively playable on GNU/Linux (even the next Unreal to be released in a few months).

EDIT : A better link concerning the Freedomware Gamefest : http://www.freedomware-gamefest.com
You can watch there two videos on games you can play at this festival.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:15 am 

john maclean wrote:
You can also try GNU/Linux by downloading and burning a live CD. When you boot with this it's a "live linux session" in that you run Linux but you are not actually installing it on the node. Gives you a chance to try stuff out without actually comming anything. Once you quit or reboot that node all of the "windows files" are still there.

I tried to do that but I am having a bit of a problem, my computer keeps trying to run Windows instead of booting from the CD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:42 am 

Half_Pint wrote:
I tried to do that but I am having a bit of a problem, my computer keeps trying to run Windows instead of booting from the CD.

When starting your computer, you need to enter your BIOS configuration and change the boot sequence order to place the CD drive before the hard disk. Don't worry, this is very easy.