FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Newbie questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Half_Pint
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that and for about two seconds a line will come up saying boot from CD with a place that seems like its waiting for text, but then its gone and Windos starts loading.

EDIT: Also if wondows dosen't load the power shuts down right after the boot from CD apears. I am going to try booting on a diffrent computer in a few minuts to see if its just my computer or if I am doing something wrong.

Magic Banana
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried to press [Enter] when it seems to wait for a input?
Half_Pint
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it dosent help though I will try again.
Half_Pint
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I just tried pressing [ENTER] and it didn't do anything except load Windows as usual. I am thinking there might be an issue with the CD, that I might have done something incorectly and thats why it wont boot, but I may be wrong.
john maclean
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only two things that you need to check really. First is that you burned the live CD as an "iso image". That's techno-speak for a "CD that can boot, install and run stuff". Second you need to check that you saved the options when you left your BIOS utility.

For most of the BIOS that I have come across you just hit F10. You should be asked if you want to save changes. Just hit yes or whatever you see, knowing that you have told your BIOS that booting from a CD is the right thing to do.

Maybe you might see a list like this;

* Hard disk
* Usb media
* floppy
* CD-rom

Depends on the type of BIOS but you just hit a key like F5, tab, page up or even the arrow keys. However it's done for your machine your list should end up looking like this;

* CD-rom
* Hard disk
* Usb media
* floppy

Added:- Oh yeah, forgot to add that the CD should be OK ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know its not the BIOS becasue I checked it several times to see that it had boot from CD as its first priority. I should check the CD I burned because I burned it using the POS buring program that comes with Windows so it may not have burned properly, iv had that happen before. Oh and its Pheonix BIOS if that makes any difference.
Half_Pint
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so it was the CD that was the issue but when I load the CD it wants to install, how do I get it to run a Live session?
john maclean
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The live CD is here. ftp://blagblagblag.org/pub/blag/linux/70000/en/iso/liveBLAG-69999.50000.iso

Page 2 of 2

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP