FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Getting Beryl to work, video card choice, BLAG 70K drivers

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BLAG Forum Index -> open discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hansencomputers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Getting Beryl to work, video card choice, BLAG 70K drivers Reply with quote

Hi Gang,
Some time ago I asked about getting Beryl to work. I have an nVidia video card, and I understand that for Beryl to work, I need to use nVidia's drivers. Well, I tried and tried, but never got the drivers installed.

I still want the cool graphics effects that I think Beryl offers, so I'm willing to replace the video card. Can anyone recommend a video card that works (allowing Beryl to function) out of the box?

I need to add this additional information:
1. I have never been able to enable "desktop effects" (System-Preferences-Desktop Effects) Why? I click "enable", but it always says "Desktop Effects could not be enabled"
2. When I enable Beryl, I get a blank white screen. With the mouse wheel I can make it move, but only white is displayed on what seems to be a cube. However, I have managed to make the cube show its top side, and there is some weird symbol there. I can't recall what it was.
3. I have a 8X AGP slot, 2.67GHz P4, 2GB RAM

Last but not least, is there an estimated date for BLAG 70K release? And might BLAG 70K solve my problem? Maybe there are better drivers?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Mike H

john maclean
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a quick, (read lazy), suggestion, I'd say that anything that is supported in the kenel without the requirement for binary blobs is fine. A hardware compatibility list or the kernel sources should be a god point of reference.

_________________
BLAG 'em up!
stevo32
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Radeon 9550-9800 will work. BLAG 70000 will be released when it's ready, but I'm guessing it'll be within a month.

I'd personally recommend working on the Nvidia driver. It's really not that hard to get installed.

Thanks,
Stephen Clement


_________________
E-mail me at s.clement@localhost (replace localhost with sympatico.ca) or stevo32@localhost (replace localhost with blagblagblag.org).
jebba
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo32 wrote:
I'd personally recommend working on the Nvidia driver. It's really not that hard to get installed.


This does cause other chaos though....

I have one of these with free drivers and it does beryl fine (though I don't actually use beryl):
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Radeon X300SE]

It's a PCI card though. They likely have a AGP equivalent.

jebba
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting Beryl to work, video card choice, BLAG 70K drive Reply with quote

hansencomputers wrote:
Last but not least, is there an estimated date for BLAG 70K release? And might BLAG 70K solve my problem? Maybe there are better drivers?


70k won't solve this problem as the drivers are basically the same. There is no estimated date. I was jamming it out yesterday but now it's hanging during the install, i think due to the new 2.6.23 kernel added. Garrrr. So I have to figure that out.

Here's a list of what's pending (the stuff in red) so you can get an idea of what's left to do:
http://bugzilla.blagblagblag.org/

hansencomputers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. No pressure meant on the 70K release. I plan to setup fresh when it is ready. If you said another 6 months, I'd re-setup with 60K.
j.pahl
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: BeRyL Reply with quote

I paid hell trying to get beryl working , Found that my xorg.conf file needed some tweaking
these settings were all at 16 so I changed them to 24 and 32 .. rebooted and WHAM ! all was fine . Not sure if that will help anyone searching for answers on here ?

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 32
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480" "640x400" "640x350"
EndSubSection
EndSection

jebba
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ya, sometimes beryl only works at higher bitdepths as set in xorg.conf
hansencomputers
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, well I have the new ATI R9550 Video Card installed. I also got my copy of BLAG 70K and have done a fresh install. Everything is great, and for the first time, I am able to turn on "Desktop Effects". The new video card is the answer.

I have Beryl working, but need some advice from Beryl users. For instance, to use Beryl, does the "Beryl Manager" need to be started? Should I include that in my programs that launch on startup?

Secondly, when using "Beryl Manager" the top "Title Bar" (I think that's the name) is not visible. This includes the Minimize, Restore and Close buttons in the top right corner. However, if I click there, those three items still work, I just don't see them.

Finally, I want the cool effects, but when I enable an effect, like when I minimize I want the "Burn" effect, I don't get that. I want it all, and love the effects I've seen so far.

Thanks everyone who helps.

Mike

Praxis
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For instance, to use Beryl, does the "Beryl Manager" need to be started? Should I include that in my programs that launch on startup?
No, simply 'beryl &' from the terminal should work. However I generally started BM because I often wanted to tweak something, plus it enabled me to disable beryl easily if I wanted to do something that didn't work with Beryl.

Quote:
Secondly, when using "Beryl Manager" the top "Title Bar" (I think that's the name) is not visible. This includes the Minimize, Restore and Close buttons in the top right corner. However, if I click there, those three items still work, I just don't see them.


Do you remember if you installed the 'emerald' theme manager? If so, play around with different themes, many of them don't display the widgets for some reason. I never use those themes very long.


Quote:
Finally, I want the cool effects, but when I enable an effect, like when I minimize I want the "Burn" effect, I don't get that. I want it all, and love the effects I've seen so far.


Firepaint is actually a Compiz Fusion plugin, not Beryl. CF is a re-merging between the original Compiz and Beryl that has pretty much replaced Beryl on newer distros.

I have CF installed on Fedora 7, so it is possible. It worked a little better than Beryl, but is still buggy (zooming in to the whole desktop doesn't always work properly). IIRC it requires setting up a third-party repository to install CF. I believe I used this guide: http://www.howtoforge.com/fedora7_beryl_compizfusion_p2

For me getting CF to behave was more of a chore than Beryl. The CompizConfig-System-Manager (ccsm) is very powerful, but even less intuitive than the beryl-manager. To get the degree of functionality I wanted I had to play around with a raft of plugins and settings & chat on a CF forum. Though there are piles of pages that will help you set up CF, there aren't many that show you configure it (the defaults won't make anyone too happy). This is the best page I found (still not very exhaustive, I'm afraid):
http://forlong.blogage.de/article/2007/8/29/How-to-set-up-Compiz-Fusion

j.pahl
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: title bars Reply with quote

hansencomputers wrote:
OK, well I have the new ATI R9550 Video Card installed. I also got my copy of BLAG 70K and have done a fresh install. Everything is great, and for the first time, I am able to turn on "Desktop Effects". The new video card is the answer.

I have Beryl working, but need some advice from Beryl users. For instance, to use Beryl, does the "Beryl Manager" need to be started? Should I include that in my programs that launch on startup?

Secondly, when using "Beryl Manager" the top "Title Bar" (I think that's the name) is not visible. This includes the Minimize, Restore and Close buttons in the top right corner. However, if I click there, those three items still work, I just don't see them.

Finally, I want the cool effects, but when I enable an effect, like when I minimize I want the "Burn" effect, I don't get that. I want it all, and love the effects I've seen so far.

Thanks everyone who helps.

Mike


I have ALWAYS had to open up my xorg.conf file and comment out ( using this --> # ) the load GLX to see the title bar above the window .

# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
# Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"


also this in the terminal

nvidia-xconfig --composite --allow-glx-with-composite --add-argb-glx-visuals

hansencomputers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys,
Actually, I have everything working great, and I will say, the effects are very cool.

The missing "Title Bar" was in fact a result of the Emerald Theme I had selected. I played around and have a really cool look going here. I think I know what I'm doing with Beryl.

My fresh install was flawless. BLAG has been the easiest to install of all the Distros I've tried. Since I'm still learning, a fresh install lets me set things right that I muck up along the way. With the Beryl addition, I feel like I have a new system. Lots to play with.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Mike H

Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BLAG Forum Index -> open discussion
Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP