FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
modprobe, iwconfig, Wireless Configuration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
metalforever
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: modprobe, iwconfig, Wireless Configuration Reply with quote

Upon having tried BLAG for the first time, i was thoroughly impressed. I have been a "distro hopper" for quite some time, and I think I have found my home, but I need me help getting this configured.

I am having a hard time configuring my Intel IPW3945 ABG wireless card. Looking at "hardware" under the administration menu, i see that BLAG detected my card, but upon going to Network Configuration(Administration Menu), only the wireless ethernet card is configured(eth0). I pressed "new" to try to configure my wireless connection. Intel drivers DO show up (not the correct ones), and i try to set up my wireless card with those drivers, but BLAG says that it cannot find my device.

After this i figure that maybe i need to install the wireless drivers manually, so i get out the dvd disk with the drivers on it. I install it as instructed(and how i have done on every distro, though never using anything based on fedora) in the INSTALL file. After this, i look at the directories, and everything is indeed installed, but after su'ing to root and typing "modprobe ipw3945" (like when i usually configure wireless), i find that modprobe is not installed.

This is "ok", I go to "iwconfig" in an attempt to find if the drivers are working (should be), but iwconfig isnt installed. I chase down "wireless_tools" from the internet and try to install, to ind that it errors out. Is there any way i can safely get wireless working, without going through this huge ordeal? I do not have wired access all of the time, and i really ned to know how to fix this so that i may continue to use BLAG.

jebba
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You simply don't have /sbin and /usr/sbin in your $PATH as root.

When you `su` use `su -`

Code:
su -

That way things like ifconfig are found. Or simply use /sbin/ifconfig etc

-Jeff

metalforever
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, how do i add /sbin and /usr/sbin into my $PATH ? su - root worked, and i managed to install the drivers, but i am still having issues, namely:

1. Everything has to be run manually, i tried using "Services" and "Sessions" in the Administration menu with no luck. How do i make the loading of my wireless card module, daemon etc. automatic?

2. Available wireless connections come up, but it doesnt let me connect to any of them? NetworkManager just says "connecting" for the longest time and fails. I fixed this once, but upon restart, it was gone.

Help would be GREATLY appreciated, im really sick of trying out distros and i really like BLAG.

jebba
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It likely has to do with the firmware which isn't installed by blag since it's not free software.
metalforever
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i still be helped out with getting the wireless to work as a service ? I just need to know what to edit (isnt pertained specifically to wireless card)
jebba
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at NetworkManager

Code:
/etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
chkconfg --add NetworkManager

ririkourou94
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalforever wrote:
Can i still be helped out with getting the wireless to work as a service ? I just need to know what to edit (isnt pertained specifically to wireless card)

Did you configured /etc/network-scripts/ifcfg-ath0 file ? My own file :
# Atheros Communications, Inc. Unknown device 0024
DEVICE=ath0
ONBOOT=no
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:1b:63:c4:62:b7
TYPE=Wireless
ESSID=jauny_munt_vitarelles
MODE=Managed
RATE=Auto
CHANNEL=11

Did you installed "wpa_supplicant" ? if not, then use Synaptic package manager to do so. Then, you will have to tune /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. Please find hereafter my own config file :
##### START /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf #####
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
#ctrl_interface_group=0
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

#eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

# my Home network WPA-PSK/TKIP FreeBox
network={
ssid="jauny_munt_vitarelles"
scan_ssid=1
proto=WPA
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=TKIP
#psk=8926366603f66532fc2f18fbc5d7db4228a13a043b133631dceadc5a13b51862
psk="} ms{fFQDn,z6a+mVq}guO5ijjDW}d(4C z|o+DJ62cvm7U>:JA&FaK9N.fvT-6"
priority=4
auth_alg=OPEN
}

# Default . Open
#network={
# ssid=ANY
# key_mgmt=NONE
# priority=2
#}

##### END /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf #####

Did you install a small script under /etc/init.d to startup /etc/tc5.d. My own script is called "wifi.wpa" :
#!/bin/bash
# wifi : wpa supplicant init
if [ -x /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant ]
then
modprobe ath_pci
/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -D madwifi -i ath0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
ifup ath0
fi
exit 0
# end of wifi.wpa

Note that I'm using Madwifi driver ; of course this is highly hardware-dependent). Then add a symbolic link to that file in /etc/rc5.d : ln -s ../init.d/wifi.wpa S41wifiwpa. Make these files executable (chmod +x)

I hope this could help.

Eric

noldrin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalforever wrote:
2. Available wireless connections come up, but it doesnt let me connect to any of them? NetworkManager just says "connecting" for the longest time and fails. I fixed this once, but upon restart, it was gone.

Things I've done that have seemed to help me connect on occasion

- Make sure the Wireless light on my laptop is on by pressing the wireless button
- Start the wpa_supplicant service
- Restart NetManager
- Restart DHCDBD
- Restart Network

extraspecialbitter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noldrin wrote:
metalforever wrote:

Things I've done that have seemed to help me connect on occasion

- Make sure the Wireless light on my laptop is on by pressing the wireless button
- Start the wpa_supplicant service
- Restart NetManager
- Restart DHCDBD
- Restart Network

What is the make and model of your laptop? I have a Dell Inspiron B130, and rather than having a physical wireless on/off switch, the wireless radio is toggled on and off via a combination of the <function> and <F2> keys. And yes, I discovered that the hard way. %^O

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP