FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
sound configuration not stored

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ririkourou94
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: sound configuration not stored Reply with quote

I finally found a solution to make my sound card working on GNU/Linux (latest Realtek ALSA package installation. Intel IC8 controller along with a Realtek ALC885 chipset), but unfortunately, each time I reboot, I have to launch a Xterm and use "alsaconf" (being root) . Otherwise, I have no sound...
"alsactl store " command does not fix the problem.
Any idea ?

stevo32
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know the specific module your card uses, you can add "modprobe MODULENAME" to /etc/rc.local.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's "not working" what is it doing? Like no sound, not found, or what? Also, are you booting into graphical mode? That sets the permissions of the card correctly to the user that owns the console.
ririkourou94
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
When it's "not working" what is it doing? Like no sound, not found, or what? Also, are you booting into graphical mode? That sets the permissions of the card correctly to the user that owns the console.

"not working" means "no sound". I always boot in graphical mode not in console mode.
Adding "modprobe snd-hda-intel" line at the bottom of /etc/rc/local does not modify the behavior of the system. I still have to run alsaconf to get sound out of this Intel/Realtek stuff. Something I don't have to do when I'm running Debian Lenny (but as Blag is my favourite distro , running alsaconf each time I log off/log in is a bit annoying). Cheers. Eric.

stevo32
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it work out of the box if you log in as root? If so, chown -R YOURUSER:YOURUSER /dev/snd/

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo32 wrote:
Does it work out of the box if you log in as root? If so, chown -R YOURUSER:YOURUSER /dev/snd/

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

Thanks for your tip. I did checked the permissions on /dev/snd a few weeks ago (when I was still fighting to make sound work) : they are alright. If I log in as root or as the standard, I got no sound. But , then, if I open an Xterm and run 'alsaconf' (answer OK to all the questions), then I got sound working.

I also have to run alsaconf when I log in as "root".
I did compared the "lsmod" outcome if I don't run alsaconf and "lsmod" outcome just after runnning alsaconf. All the loaded modules before alsaconf is launched are still loaded after alsaconf process (as expected). SND_HDA_INTEL is automatically loaded (that's why adding a "modprobe snd_hda_intel" in /etc/rc.local did not fix the problem).But, there are a few additional modules loaded after alsaconf :
* fat, usb_storage, vfat
* snd_pcm_oss, snd_seq, snd_seq_device, snd_seq_dummy, snd_seq_midi_event, snd_seq_oss

I hope this could help. Many thanks in anticipation. Eric.

jebba
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run:
system-config-sound

Also, if you are playing something and it doesn't make an error, but you just can't hear it, really double-check that the right channels are unmuted. This happens to people /a lot/ where they think it's a driver issue and things are really just muted.

Praxis
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem on a Fedora 7 box, I have to log in to a terminal as root and run 'system-config-sound' to get my sound working (I didn't have this problem in that box's previous incarnations of FC 5 & 6). My sound is just stock VIA stuff (KM266 chipset), but I do have it routed through my stereo via SPDIF (IEC958). I had a bitch of a time getting that to work at all until I found that you had to dial the IEC958 channel down to zero in the mixer to hear anything at all. Occasionally the sound becomes garbled (mostly Amarok seems to choke up for some reason), then I have to reboot, merely running "sound" (my alias for system-config-sound) doesn't do the trick, it still comes up garbled, if I can get it to work at all.
ririkourou94
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
Run:
system-config-sound

Also, if you are playing something and it doesn't make an error, but you just can't hear it, really double-check that the right channels are unmuted. This happens to people /a lot/ where they think it's a driver issue and things are really just muted.

system-config-sound : command not found (while, for instance, system-config-keyboard works fine ,as expected), logged in as 'root'.

noldrin
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

system-config-soundcard ?
ririkourou94
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noldrin wrote:
system-config-soundcard ?

When I tried to upgrade to Blak 70K, the process failed and messed up my Blag partition (kernel panic). I totally erased this partition and re-installed Blag 60001. I don't have this sound card issues anymore.
Anyway, thanks for your tip (system-config-card is available).
Eric

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP