FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
successful WEP wireless

View previous topic :: View next topic  
noldrin
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: successful WEP wireless Reply with quote

I managed to get wireless working with ndis wrapper, and could connect to unsecured and wpa networks, but WEP was still not usable to me, and 2 of my main points were WEP. So I tried replacing Networkmanager with WICD and now I'm connected with WEP.

http://wicd.net/wiki/doku.php?id=fedora
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

WICD is gpl and gnome free so it's great for other window managers. I installed the rpm, unenabled network manager, from the session manager and services, added the /opt/wicd/tray.py to session and enabled wicd in services, restarted gnome and was basically on my way. At first it was halting on obtaining an IP address, but i opened up the wireless manager, and told it to do WEP and entered the password, set the wpa supplicant driver to wext and it's gravy. Going to do more testing.

stevo32
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you using wpa supplicant to do WEP?

You should be able to simply do:
Code:
iwconfig wlan0 enc key

Which doesn't require wpa_supplicant.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps the wpa_supplicant isn't doing anything and it just took a couple tries to get it going, or it needed to be properly ignored, I don't know. I just know it works and it states while doing so that it's generating the wpa configuration file.

That command doesn't seem to be doing anything, it's not connecting me to the wireless.

stevo32
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the iwconfig manpage, it explains it in detail.

On my old laptop, I did something like:
Code:
iwconfig eth1 essid APESSID key s:WIRELESSKEY channel 1
dhclient eth1

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! My goal is to be able to do all my laptop stuff from the command line.
Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP