FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Hello and questions...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orthuberra
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Hello and questions... Reply with quote

Hello, my first post here! I installed BLAG 70k on a partition on my laptop and it works great. It's some great work your team has done here. I first heard about linux a couple years ago, but only started using and learning it a few months ago.

With that I heard about the free software philosophy and think its a great thing to work on. I read about the 100% free distributions at the gnu project homepage and decided to pick up those distributions and try using them. Well my laptop now has a bunch of partitions for BLAG and the other fully-free distros. And my desktop has a few as well.

I have two questions though. First is the non-free art (firefox thing), shouldn't you change to gnuzilla/burningdog (or something else)? Not meaning to troll here just suggesting if you want to keep BLAG fully-free.

Second I've picked up *nix systems pretty quickly and have shoehorned the GNUstep livecd onto a partition on my laptop, and it works. If anyone is interested in how to do this I'll post instructions. The manual install text on the GNUstep livecd homepage requires an internet connection, but this way you can install it on computers without internet.

Once again, thanks. ;)

orthuberra
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I have read several posts in the forums of the various 100% free software distros of people suggesting a lightweight or minimalist distro that is fully-free where you have a choice of what to install for those that don't want tons of software of heavyweight gui's autoloaded onto their os.

As a result I was wondering if anyone felt the idea of doing a Slackware/Slax based lightweight distro is a good one or not worth the time. I noticed their is no fully-free Slackware/Slax variant, but all the other major distribution families have them (such as Blag for RPM-based, gnewsense for Debian based, Ututo for gentoo). With the high degree of configurability and small size for the people asking about a minimalist distro I figured it would be a good choice for those people and fill the niche the other completely free distros have not.

I've been learning fast and am learning how to remaster a livecd, edit config files, etc. Let me know what you think. :)

jebba
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox is actually free software. If you do a bunch of patches you can't use their trademarks or something. I compile with "--not-official" or whatever it is. I think we're fine.
noldrin
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be more concerned about Firefox and Seamonkey suggesting you download and install non-free software as something incompatible with the free software ideal.
saddletramp
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwiw,
i'd be greatly interested in a minimalistic distro, especially based on slackware/slax. mainly due to this piece of junk computer i'm on at the moment. blag does run quite well on here though. definitely better than any other distro i've tried.

orthuberra
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everybody.

@noldrin: Gnuzilla's Iceweasel tracks Firefox releases they just run a script that edits out any suggestion of downloading non-free plugins (flash, shockwave, etc). Just a suggestion since you can track new Iceweasel releases just the same as firefox when building the distro without the suggest plugin thing popping up for non-free stuff.

@saddletramp: Cool thanks for the support, I'm busy writing up what packages and stuff I was going to put in it, along with options, size limitations and so forth.

Here is some of what I have: Base it on SLAX livecd, but include a text based install script that gives you the options Slack does (asking what to install), replace lilo with grub (personal preference), livecd boots to grub menu giving choice of console boot, fluxbox/windowmaker (maybe both), and xfce (maybe not). ISO/IMG size limit 200mb or less (small enough for a mini-cd or 256mb usb stick). As for apps aim for lightweight apps where possible and have as many as can fill out that disk (abiword, pidgin, tuxpaint instead of gimp) any suggestions welcome.

jebba
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saddletramp wrote:
i'd be greatly interested in a minimalistic distro

I'm doing a liveCD one that only lets you play gcompris: kinderBLAG!

noldrin
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok.. investigating this further...

iceweasel can refer to two browsers -- the Debian build of firefox, or the GNU version. The GNU version is being renamed icecat to avoid confusion. Icecat is a fork that will keep syncing up with main firefox and will only be built on free software and will only suggest to install free software.

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/

While I think this is pretty darn good, I'd say IceCat will need a bit more life in it in order to be replacement for firefox. Latest available test version is from August 17th.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP