FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
K3B and missing audio decoder plugin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hansencomputers
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: K3B and missing audio decoder plugin Reply with quote

Hi guys,
When I start K3B, I get this message:
Quote:

Mp3 Audio Decoder plugin not found.
K3b could not load or find the Mp3 decoder plugin. This means that you will not be able to create Audio CDs from Mp3 files. Many Linux distributions do not include Mp3 support for legal reasons.
Solution: To enable Mp3 support, please install the MAD Mp3 decoding library as well as the K3b MAD Mp3 decoder plugin (the latter may already be installed but not functional due to the missing libmad). Some distributions allow installation of Mp3 support via an online update tool (i.e. SuSE's YOU).

I checked and find that something called "libmad" seems to already be installed. Can anyone guide me to a resolution here? I would like to be able to make audio CDs from MP3 files with K3B.

Thanks,
Mike H

extraspecialbitter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: K3B and missing audio decoder plugin Reply with quote

hansencomputers wrote:
Hi guys,
When I start K3B, I get this message:
Quote:

Mp3 Audio Decoder plugin not found.
K3b could not load or find the Mp3 decoder plugin. This means that you will not be able to create Audio CDs from Mp3 files. Many Linux distributions do not include Mp3 support for legal reasons.
Solution: To enable Mp3 support, please install the MAD Mp3 decoding library as well as the K3b MAD Mp3 decoder plugin (the latter may already be installed but not functional due to the missing libmad). Some distributions allow installation of Mp3 support via an online update tool (i.e. SuSE's YOU).

I checked and find that something called "libmad" seems to already be installed. Can anyone guide me to a resolution here? I would like to be able to make audio CDs from MP3 files with K3B.

Thanks,
Mike H

Code:
root@brixton=> apt-cache search k3b | grep k3b
k3b - CD/DVD burning application for KDE
k3b-devel - Files for the development of applications which will use k3b
k3b-extras - Free codec plugins for k3b
k3b-extras-nonfree - Additional codec plugins for the k3b CD/DVD burning application

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that the last package was the one you were looking for. Install thusly:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install k3b-extras-nonfree

hansencomputers
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
apt-get update

"nonfree"?

I don't think I like the sound of that.

If I can do this with another program, I'll skip it. Is there another option?

I thought Brasero did the job with MP3's. If so, I can skip the extra work to make K3B do it.

Mike H

saddletramp
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just went through this same issue on one of my systems. trust me, you need that. non-free doesn't mean squat.

apt-get update

Crwyddwr
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hansencomputers wrote:
If I can do this with another program, I'll skip it. Is there another option?

If you want to use another program, SoundConverter will convert .mp3 files to .wav (and many other formats besides).

noldrin
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hansencomputers wrote:
Quote:
apt-get update

"nonfree"?

nonfree could be referring to patent encumbered, as anything that does mp3 is. People have been mixing their definitions.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP