FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
The worst case scenario

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hansencomputers
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: The worst case scenario Reply with quote

Nothing BLAG or Linux related, so I hope this is OK.

I have recently assembled a home PC, and have it back for some "fine tuning". It's nothing special, but decent hardware for reading/writing email and surfing the WEB. That's all this machine will probably ever do. But doing it is a bit of a problem.

Unfortunately the system is saddled with MS Windows Vista :(

To make matters worse, the owner connects to the WEB via dial-up.

Not just any dial-up,.. AOL is their choice.

The combo of the three is really sad. I just wanted to share this with you.

On a more positive note, I'm on my second Old Speckled Hen

Mike H

saddletramp
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can't possibly "fine tune" that computer enough to do much more than reading/writing email and surfing the WEB, with that combination!!

at least you know what's wrong:
"The combo of the three is really sad."

Jason
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No that is a good combination. It will crash often, get infected with all sorts of crap and the owner will realise Windows sucks.
hansencomputers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No that is a good combination. It will crash often, get infected with all sorts of crap and the owner will realise Windows sucks.

Yes, but to really see how bad it sucks, you have to start using something better. I only understood this when I made the break with MS WIN XP, and didn't go back. Now I would not even consider going back to it.

I continue to work on conversions, but it is a slow process. Fortunately the experiences have generally been good, and people will talk, so I expect my list of conversions to continue to grow.

Mike H

john maclean
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not burn a live CD. You could use it to create a bootable USB key fob. someone has done so here and has listed the results on the forums.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP