FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Linux equivalent to CTRL+ALT+DELETE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hansencomputers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Linux equivalent to CTRL+ALT+DELETE Reply with quote

Hi,
I recently had the rare "lock-up" of my system (BLAG 70K). I pressed the reset button on the tower to fix the problem, since mouse and keyboard were seemed to be completely non-responsive.

I am wondering if there is a way to recover from this problem without restarting? Like a keyboard combo that would bring some control back?

Thanks,
Mike H

berkbw
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well -- if you're REALLY locked up, you are fubard. I either use Ctl+Alt+Fn, such as control+alt+a function key.. low one like 1. if that get me a login, great. I shutdown with
Code:
shutdown -r now[quote]

Sometimes a Ctl+Alt+Bksp[backspace] will kill X, and your Xwindows, allowing an instant re-login.
b-

[/quote]

noldrin
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was ctrl-alt-delete.. I guess you might need to edit that back into the /var/inittab file?
hansencomputers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does "fubard" mean?

Mike H

orthuberra
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F*cked
Up
Beyond
All
Recognition,
Dude

stevo32
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ctrl-alt-backspace can do the trick too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noldrin wrote:
I thought it was ctrl-alt-delete.. I guess you might need to edit that back into the /var/inittab file?

Yup, Ctrl-ALt-Del works fine if you are at a terminal screen Doesn't seem to work from X though.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP