FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
f8

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BLAG Forum Index -> development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jebba
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: f8 Reply with quote

I have had trouble building good BLAG-79k images so far. I am running it on my laptop currently. I have found 79k/f8 to be a bit "flakier" than 60k/fc6 and 70k/f7. Those were very solid for me (in fact, I just kept running 60k on my main laptop until recently).

Has anyone else been poking at F8? I'm not so sure it's that great of a base...

In another development, iron_chef, who has been building blag-ish ISOs on his own machine for some time now, has been set up with full access on the devel server to build RPMs, build ISOs, test ISOs in the kvm/vnc, etc. I am very very happy about this. :)

-Jeff

john maclean
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being very lazy here. Are there any docs in the wiki/deveoper stuff laying out how you've set things up? I remember that there are a number of scripts on the server... you still use them?

_________________
BLAG 'em up!
extraspecialbitter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: f8 Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
I have had trouble building good BLAG-79k images so far. I am running it on my laptop currently. I have found 79k/f8 to be a bit "flakier" than 60k/fc6 and 70k/f7. Those were very solid for me (in fact, I just kept running 60k on my main laptop until recently).

Has anyone else been poking at F8? I'm not so sure it's that great of a base...


I have Fedora 8 installed on a spare partition and I don't particularly like it. It seems a step backward from Fedora 7. BLAG 79999 seems a bit friendlier, with wonderful default themes, but it seems to boot a little more slowly than 70K or even 60K. I also ran into issues with apt until I made some tweaks to apt.conf. At first blush, it seems to need some fine tuning, but once done it will easily rival F8.

BTW - I upgraded from 70K to 79K the lazy man's way: I edited /etc/apt/sources.list.d/blag.list and changed 70000 to 80000, then did the following:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get -f upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade


I ran into some broken packages (duplicates of avahi, IIRC) and had to remove them with rpm -e, and then the aforementioned issues with apt, but I'm proud to say:

Code:

pablo@brixton=> head -1 /etc/issue
BLAG release 79999.00000 (alpha)

jebba
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john maclean wrote:
Being very lazy here. Are there any docs in the wiki/deveoper stuff laying out how you've set things up? I remember that there are a number of scripts on the server... you still use them?


https://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Building_BLAG70000

Though that may be getting a bit dated. I'm still using my own scripts to build it. I have used pungi for making test builds of 70000 but they didn't quite have everything I needed (I was able to make the image smaller with my own $foo).

-Jeff

noldrin
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard some grumblings about Fedora 8 having troubles, but it's hard to get an over all sense of things since so many different people have different experiences.
extraspecialbitter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Fedora 8 1/2? Reply with quote

It's interesting to note that Fedora is already releasing an Alpha version of Fedora 9, even while Fedora 8 seems little better than a Beta release. BLAG 79999 certainly improves upon the bugginess of Fedora 8, but I suppose one can only do so much without utterly reinventing the wheel.
jebba
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fedora 8 1/2? Reply with quote

extraspecialbitter wrote:
It's interesting to note that Fedora is already releasing an Alpha version of Fedora 9, even while Fedora 8 seems little better than a Beta release. BLAG 79999 certainly improves upon the bugginess of Fedora 8, but I suppose one can only do so much without utterly reinventing the wheel.


Although we haven't been rolling out good 79999 ISOs do to various interfering buglets, we have made quite a bit of progress in the background, including having a cleaned out kernel available. The build box is more sorted out and automated a bit better, so when we do get a couple things solved, we'll be able to push out ISOs more quickly and also be able to do spins of new upstream releases more easily (such as f9).

john maclean
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approx 248 emails on the fc mailing list related to fc8 updates this week so I wouldn't worry about it. Took fc8 or a spin soon after it came out. Some of the bugs have been iron out like
http://jayeola.org/BLOG/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/screenshot_bug.png.

/me lifts a glass to 30k...


_________________
BLAG 'em up!
berkbw
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it not be humerous if RH were tp be copying BKAG? Just a thought.

b-

Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BLAG Forum Index -> development
Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP