BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:02 pm 

Greetings again fellas. I did a fresh install recently, giving it the completye drive, and added a couple things (aMSN, Comix, Deluge, OGMRip), then added totem-xine to give me video thumbnails, as I find it convenient. Worked a treat after logging out and back in again. Then ran a full update, only to find afte r logging out and back in, and even rebooting, that my video files no longer displayed as thumbnails. Also, when trying to play a couple of xvid files on my drive, totem and xine both refused to play them, seeming convinced there was no plugin to play them. WTF? Mplayer could play them, but the others suddenly could not. Most annoying. And I was just turning my elder housemate on to the idea of how great Free Software was. Does anyone have any suggestions please? I can't understand why this has occurred, i don't recall it being a problem last time.

edit: I'm an idiot, i only just realised i posted this in the wrong section. :(

Last edited by Saint of Killers on Thu May 22, 2008 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

Video thumbnails is an option to nautilus, which is settable with gconf:
Menu-->Applications-->System Tools-->Configuration Editor

I think if you search for nautilus or thumbnails or similar you should be able to find it.

Note this only affects *thumbnails*--if you can't play the videos at all, that's a different mattter and sounds like a separate issue. So you can't even run like `xine foo.ogg` or whatever?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:00 pm 

Yeah, I've checked thumbnails are set to display, but only images thumbnail now. Odd. And attempting to open .avi files with Totem gives me "Video codec 'XviD' is not handled. You might need to install additional plugins to be able to play some types of movies", which i don't understand, as it was working fine before. Attempting to open with Xine produces a "unsupported codec. This video uses XVID codec" type error. I don't understand, xvid is free codec, it should work. All I did was update.

All the settings for thumbnails appear to be right, but they're just not displaying. And the vids will play in Mplayer, but nothing else. This makes little sense to me. Sorry to bother you with this, but it's really put a damper on things. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

Do you have the xvidcore package installed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:03 pm 

Saint of Killers wrote:
Yeah, I've checked thumbnails are set to display, but only images thumbnail now. Odd. And attempting to open .avi files with Totem gives me "Video codec 'XviD' is not handled. You might need to install additional plugins to be able to play some types of movies", which i don't understand, as it was working fine before. Attempting to open with Xine produces a "unsupported codec. This video uses XVID codec" type error. I don't understand, xvid is free codec, it should work. All I did was update.

All the settings for thumbnails appear to be right, but they're just not displaying. And the vids will play in Mplayer, but nothing else. This makes little sense to me. Sorry to bother you with this, but it's really put a damper on things. :(

edit: forgot to mention, i have checked in Synaptic that xvid is installed, and don't understand why it complains it isn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

What does this give you?

Code:
rpm -q xvidcore xine xine-lib

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:10 pm 

xvidcore-1.1.3-2.fc7
xine-0.99.5-1.lvn7
xine-lib-1.1.11.1-1.fc7.2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

To me that looks correct, but i usually use mplayer... anyone else?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

Saint of Killers wrote:
edit: I'm an idiot, i only just realised i posted this in the wrong section. :(

no worries at all. I'll move it. I didn't notice anyway...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:30 am 

Just backed up and reinstalled again. Installed few basic apps, then did apt-get dist-upgrade again. Same result. This is annoying. I was really enjoying things until I updated. What is it in the updates that keeps breaking this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:32 am 
Site Admin

Saint of Killers wrote:
Just backed up and reinstalled again. Installed few basic apps, then did apt-get dist-upgrade again. Same result. This is annoying. I was really enjoying things until I updated. What is it in the updates that keeps breaking this?

Hmm. Well, since you still have xine and xvidcore installed, I don't know. Perhaps downgrade either or both of those packages to older versions. This is the first I've heard of this.

(there was a repo issue with xine-lib-mole and such, but you don't report and missing packages or anything like that and you have xine and xvidcore installed, so it's not that).

How about the best answer: just use mplayer. There's a reason I've basically just been using it alone for years now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:08 am 

I do like mplayer, but it doesn't give me the fine play control the others do. And losing my video thumbnailing was a real bummer. Sure, it's not mission critical, but it made things a lot quicker when searching for the right vid.

This is all quite annoying, especially after getting the system working exactly how I liked, all running nicely, then an upgrade goes and breaks something. I'm not trying to be difficult, but this really is a concern. I've been showing this off to friends for the last several weeks, and pointing out all the advantages, showing what it can do, but to lose features over an upgrade is not encouraging. I'll persevere and hope things decide to correct themselves, but it is disheartening that this can't be solved. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

Saint of Killers wrote:
This is all quite annoying, especially after getting the system working exactly how I liked, all running nicely, then an upgrade goes and breaks something. I'm not trying to be difficult, but this really is a concern. I've been showing this off to friends for the last several weeks, and pointing out all the advantages, showing what it can do, but to lose features over an upgrade is not encouraging. I'll persevere and hope things decide to correct themselves, but it is disheartening that this can't be solved. :(

Well, it can be solved, but most likely by you. Did you try downgrading the packages like I suggested? I mean, if it's reproduceable 100% of the time you update, then there is a package causing the problem, most likely xine-lib or related. So try that.

I will also note that psychologically, the way you write things above makes me *not* want to help you, since it's just a drag instead of fun.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

Saint of Killers wrote:
xvidcore-1.1.3-2.fc7
xine-0.99.5-1.lvn7

You're using xine from livna and xine-lib from fedora. Get both packages from one or the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

stevo32 wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:
xvidcore-1.1.3-2.fc7
xine-0.99.5-1.lvn7

You're using xine from livna and xine-lib from fedora. Get both packages from one or the other.

Ah, good one stevo32. What package mix/versions do you use/suggest?