BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:52 pm 

i found this on a search of the internet. i kind of have the same problem. the only difference in mine, is that it doesn't keep reverting back to 800x600, but it does blink like crazy when starting up and says i have that crappy i810 chipset, when it doesn't.

anyone have any ideas on how to straighten this out?

"i have an intel 82845g/gl brookdale piece of crap onboard video card in a dell dimension 2300 desktop. when starting up, the screen is continuosly blinking as it loads. can't stand that!!

it keeps reverting back to 800x600 resolution too. i edited the depth and mode here.

SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768"

this is all that is in my etc/X11/xorg.conf:

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "single head configuration"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
ModelName "Monitor 1024x768"
HorizSync 31.5 - 57.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 70.0
Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "i810"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 16
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
EndSubSection
EndSection

how do i make this thing start without all that blinking and set it to correct video card instead on the i810?
have had linux on this machine before and had this issue on just about every distro."

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

Have you tried "default LCD" monitor at all? system-config-display

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Well the blinking stuff seems to be always a part of X, which is annoying. I don't know for sure which card that is but there is also an "intel" driver which works for some of the same cards as the i810 (IIRC), so you could try putting "intel" in place of i810 in xorg.conf and see if that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

Just out of curiousity, how many systems do you have BLAG on? Do you have a bunch for testing or what? I just see other threads of yours with other gear so I was curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:15 pm 

jebba wrote:
Just out of curiousity, how many systems do you have BLAG on? Do you have a bunch for testing or what? I just see other threads of yours with other gear so I was curious.

i have 3 systems with blag70000(sugarwater) on them. all are different brands of computers. no "testing" stuff done here. i'm to linux illiterate for that!!

plus i have installed blag70000 on a few other machines for other people to try and play with, who in turn ask me "what the heck do i do!" which means i come back here to find out to tell them! (hope you don't mind that brain picking?)

the intel 82845, is the only machine that this blinking stuff has ever occurred on, and on several different distros. i have tried different settings and that really messed things up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

saddletramp wrote:
jebba wrote:

i have 3 systems with blag70000(sugarwater) on them. all are different brands of computers. no "testing" stuff done here. i'm to linux illiterate for that!!

plus i have installed blag70000 on a few other machines for other people to try and play with, who in turn ask me "what the heck do i do!" which means i come back here to find out to tell them! (hope you don't mind that brain picking?)

the intel 82845, is the only machine that this blinking stuff has ever occurred on, and on several different distros. i have tried different settings and that really messed things up.

AH cool! :) No problem ask as many questions as you want (though a bit of a search first is proper).

If things ever go to crazy, you can just

Code:
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-broken

And then run `system-config-display` or simply restart and a fresh config will be made.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:07 pm 

hey jebba,
i always do search some, albeit, probably to fast most of the time, but this bassackwards search function here stinks!

i DO appreciate all the help, seriously though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:49 pm 

I had a similar problem with a Dell Dimension 2300 and a Dell LCD monitor. Screen Resolution options were only 800x600 and 640x480 - I couldn't get 1024x768. I used system-config-display. The video card was set as i810 - Intel integrated etc. I changed this to Intel - Experimental mode setting etc (next one in the list) rebooted and it defaulted straight to 1024x768. No problems.

Thanks for the tips!