FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
to gdm or not to gdm

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewl
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: to gdm or not to gdm Reply with quote

I have been using gdm with blag really just out of inertia, I just ran whatever was installed by default. I changed the default run level from 5 to 3 and, I'm not sure whether it's my imagination or not, I seem to notice significant performance gains. I've only got 256M of ram on my laptop. Would jetisoning gdm really speed things up?

Last edited by ewl on Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, I can't imagine gpm would affect it. I can't stand gpm and always turn it off.

However, I think you might mean gdm. I don't think that would affect speed either.

But you did just install the 2.6.18 kernel, ya? Perhaps it's that? It has new SATA stuff, which is supposedly much faster if you are using that.

-Jeff

stevo32
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, my machine used to stutter randomly both as a result of poor SATA drivers and experimental NIC drivers, and both these issues are cleared up as of 2.6.18.

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I did mean gdm (doh). But I don't have any Sata drives. I've still got the other kernel installed, I'll try booting that. Of course it could just be my imagination also.

[And I re-edited my original message and the subject of this thread to cover up the fact that I said gpm instead of gdm. Pretty smart, huh? Now nobody will know.;)]

Last edited by ewl on Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just not SATA drivers that can be unstable. It can be all sorts of things. Wireless, NICs, ATA controllers, you name it...

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewl wrote:
Yeah, I did mean gdm (doh). But I don't have any Sata drives. I've still got the other kernel installed, I'll try booting that. Of course it could just be my imagination also.

[And I re-edited my original message and the subject of this thread to cover up the fact that I said gpm instead of gdm. Pretty smart, huh? Now nobody will know.;)]

Which reminds me of an incident from work. I work for the US Postal Service at a large distribution center in Shrewsbury Massachusetts. At the time I was working on the loading dock as an expediter. Because there is so much noise in the place from automated machinery sorting mail no one can hear the public address system. So the supervisors and managers talk to each other by portable radio. We would keep a radio in the dock office so that we could communicate with the supervisors in case mail, which needed go out at a certain time, wasn't delivered to the dock on time. We would keep it on so we could keep track of the ongoing comedy which *is* the US Postal Service.

One day I was sitting in the office with another expediter and we heard a supervisor on the radio,
"Does anyone have the password to the copy machine?"

The copy machines are password protected so that none of us riffraff might use it for our devious purposes.

A manager, known widely to be as dense as a brick wall responded thus:

"7924. Oh, and don't tell anyone..."

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP