BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: webmaster
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Is anyone up for maintaining the simple blag website? It's nearly the same for 4 years. I'm not talking the wiki and other parts (though that would be cool too), but the plain flat html one we have at www.blagblagblag.org

-Jeff

Last edited by jebba on Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

Maintaining would mean? (graphics, server, content, spam)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

john maclean wrote:
Maintaining would mean? (graphics,

Not necessarily, but if someone really wanted to sure.

john maclean wrote:
server,

No, it would remain on the same server it is currently.

john maclean wrote:
content,

Yes. The site is simple flat html. I particularly like that. ;) So someone that can just keep links updated, update the features page with each release, add a "how to help blag" page at /help/ etc.

If they want, they could just mail me the changes and I'd upload them, or even better, they could submit them to bugzilla.

john maclean wrote:
spam)?

There is zero spam on www.blagblagblag.org main site as it is static html.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:52 am 

I've been trying to spruce up the wiki. I really don't know what the main site needs, besides updating the list of applications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:23 am 
Site Admin

noldrin wrote:
I've been trying to spruce up the wiki. I really don't know what the main site needs, besides updating the list of applications.

Ya, thanks for all the wiki work. RMS dictates we can't link to any non-free software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:47 pm 

I thought it was we couldn't link to any non free software when a free software solution exists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

noldrin wrote:
I thought it was we couldn't link to any non free software when a free software solution exists.

Heh. Well, I personally think pointing those things out, especially what you wrote on the unrar page is ok. It sort of came up in a heated flamewar on openbsd-misc. That said, I also don't care about unrar. In the end, we're going to try to make BLAG the cleanest of the clean. I have been working on a completely blob free kernel too.

Flamewar:
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/openb ... /10/486713

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:15 am 

That's cool, I definitely don't want to cause any trouble for BLAG and I'm willing to work within the guidelines that it's primary organizers are working towards. My primary goal in doing the wiki edits was getting rid of the directions to use the non-free stuff and bring it up to date to point to the new free software solutions that now exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:46 am 
Site Admin

noldrin wrote:
That's cool, I definitely don't want to cause any trouble for BLAG and I'm willing to work within the guidelines that it's primary organizers are working towards. My primary goal in doing the wiki edits was getting rid of the directions to use the non-free stuff and bring it up to date to point to the new free software solutions that now exist.

Nice. And I really appreciate the wiki edits :)

Thanks,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:46 am 
Site Admin

I will handle the site Jeff if you want. Just as long as I get a copy of the release notes, I don't mind handling the coding site of it. Just need SFTP access and voila. Will also clean up code if there are any bits that are messy.

If John is going to start providing video's, want me to code a demonstration page? I can host videos on this server if you want bandwidth and space isn't an issue. Or maybe you want to host them your end Jeff? Might be better linking to same server? blagblagblag.org/videos or something? Maybe set up a video SFTP just for John to use to put stuff up?

It is more a community thing than something one person can do but I am sure with a bit of help here we can quickly build up a help section. I still suck with the front end of Linux because all I use is the command line except when I use BLAG on my Mac.

Would be interesting also if I can find ALL the code snippets in these forums and stick them on the site sort of as an FAQ of sorts but it won't be an FAQ. More snippets. So much we can do with that site. It looks lovely, the static HTML is my preference and I will be willing to take it to the next step.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:54 am 
Site Admin

Jason wrote:
I will handle the site Jeff if you want. Just as long as I get a copy of the release notes, I don't mind handling the coding site of it. Just need SFTP access and voila. Will also clean up code if there are any bits that are messy.

OK, we can get this set up. extraspecialbitter has volunteered as well. He emailed me some changes to the sneakernet page, but i haven't set up any account stuff yet. Honestly, I'm trying to think of the best way to do it.

Jason wrote:
If John is going to start providing video's, want me to code a demonstration page? I can host videos on this server if you want bandwidth and space isn't an issue. Or maybe you want to host them your end Jeff? Might be better linking to same server? blagblagblag.org/videos or something? Maybe set up a video SFTP just for John to use to put stuff up?

I think /video/ would be good. I may have even had such a page around 30k era. Perhaps for videos, we can have like "intro" ones so people can see what's up, "help" ones that show how to do specific things (such as synaptic or whatever), and "user videos" with whatever random stuff john wants to dream up. Or however ya'll see fit.

Jason wrote:
Would be interesting also if I can find ALL the code snippets in these forums and stick them on the site sort of as an FAQ of sorts but it won't be an FAQ. More snippets. So much we can do with that site. It looks lovely, the static HTML is my preference and I will be willing to take it to the next step.

For the FAQ we should just plonk that into the FAQ on the wiki and perhaps clean it up a bit. Also, by default if you are not logged into the wiki mediawiki isn't showing our theme. We need to poke chrisc (send him a code snippet or whatever) to get that fixed.

Thanks!

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:03 am 
Site Admin

jebba wrote:
For the FAQ we should just plonk that into the FAQ on the wiki and perhaps clean it up a bit.

That said, we can still do the code snippet thing you're talking about on the main site if you think it should be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:08 am 
Site Admin

I can make videos "on request". That way they'd be more useful to people. I've got the disk space and bandwidth for now. Not going to produce > 10 decent ones or so, estimate 5 mins each. TBH I think that ~10 is all we need to give people a good feel for BLAG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:34 am 
Site Admin

I think what would be good is to use the code snippers alongside a nice simple description of each. Probably best for the wiki but something we can easily do. I will pop into IRC sometime when I have no working commitments and a stable connection. Been dialling into home from all over the place recently lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:33 am 

(I'm back again)

I would love to take that work!

Here is a sample of my work http://lunexplorers.com

Cheers!