BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:39 pm 

How does it fail. Does it fail when asking for IP address or fail to connect at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:40 pm 

noldrin wrote:
How does it fail. Does it fail when asking for IP address or fail to connect at all?

The former - dhclient eventually times out with a "no available leases" error. I can grab the output and post it here when I'm home later tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:47 pm 

Same things happens to me with standard BLAG, 30K, and 70K, two different network cards. I've done this WICD and command line.

I think their is something fishy with the router. I can connect to some other WEP networks fine. The problem router is a netgear. The only suggestion I've heard was maybe it's using WINS, but nothing is backing that theory up yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

WPA isn't working yet, but i'm not sure if the problem is in the kernel, wicd or what. `/etc/init.d/wpa_supplicant` needs to be started (is by default i think).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

Ah, also talk to the guys at #wicd on irc.freenode.net. They have been very responsive and nice.

Side notes:
Whenever I go into a new #channel, i wonder if i'm going to get blasted (ala unfriendly #openbsd) or if it's going to be nice. The #wicd channel is nice, so you can ask questions there.

I was blasted in #openbox when I was trying to figure out why the autogenerated python submenu script that I had grabbed from the 'net wasn't working. One main #openbox dev called me incompetent (twice) within the first few minutes of the issue... Anyway, it turns out that openbox barfs on menu items such as "Sound & Video"--the XML parser dies on the "&" sign. Pfft. Anyway, openbox left a bad taste in my mouth, due to that. It's nice to have a GOOD forum to go to discuss things. I don't like going into forums feeling I can't ask questions. Anyway, jaromil has been talking about us getting rid of openbox since it uses XML (this said before the above issue). I think he's kind of bikeshedding, but perhaps we can find a window manager with friendlier devs.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:44 am 

Confession: I posted this to the eeeuser.com forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:10 am 
Site Admin

extraspecialbitter wrote:
Confession: I posted this to the eeeuser.com forum.

Thanks. I added FREEEEE info to their wiki too:

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/overview.html

It is pretty much "the" site for eee info.

Post subject: viva potassium!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:14 pm 

Code:
[root@eeyore ~]# uname -r
2.6.26.5-43.libre1.rt9.freeeee.i686
[root@eeyore ~]# cat /etc/freeeee-release
FREEEEE release 0.7.7 (potassium)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:23 pm 

this thread is becoming very unwieldy.i propose we close it and start new threads within the development forum [perhaps with a freeee prefix for easy eye recognition /searching] as freeeee issues become apparent. we could even go as far as having a a freeeee forum of its own, but i don't feel the traffic warrants it yet.

r7 [1st post from my eeepc 900 btw...]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:56 pm 

r7 wrote:
this thread is becoming very unwieldy.i propose we close it and start new threads within the development forum [perhaps with a freeee prefix for easy eye recognition /searching] as freeeee issues become apparent. we could even go as far as having a a freeeee forum of its own, but i don't feel the traffic warrants it yet.

I like the idea of breaking out subforums under the "development" heading - perhaps freeeee and BLAGHEAD?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

extraspecialbitter wrote:
r7 wrote:

I like the idea of breaking out subforums under the "development" heading - perhaps freeeee and BLAGHEAD?

i think a separate freeeee list which could have a lot of the traffic now being sent to blag-noise and then mails back & forth to the forum like -users does would be good. Maybe in a week or two. I'll see if jaromil will put one on dyne perhaps.

A separate forum for blaghead i think would be a bit much, cuz in theory, blaghead should be a lot of the development. It has been a bit neglected as i've been setting up freeeee, but i use blaghead on my main machine all the time greatly abusing it (hundreds of tabs/windows in firefox, video, mail, zillion terms, etc), and it is working at least hah. I have a hard time keeping up with all it's changes cuz i'm usually at 100% full and keep the repo on a usb pen drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:05 am 

I've been neglecting BLAGHEAD myself, dividing my time between 90001 and freeeee. Last week I tried doing a "yum update" on my BLAGHEAD partition and ran into lots of dependency errors. I'm suspecting that this is because my last update - from at least 3 months ago or more - was done using apt-get instead of yum. /me thinks I should probably just start from scratch.

On that topic, IIRC there is no iso for BLAGHEAD. Is the preferred method still to install 90001, modify the repos in /etc/yum.repos.d/blag.repo and do a "yum upgrade"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:14 am 
Site Admin

http://ks355011.kimsufi.com/media/movie ... ooovie.ogg

A short movie made on the eee 900 within the live environment.

Some screenshots for those that cannot play the off file
http://ks355011.kimsufi.com/media/ss/eee900/freeeee/