BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: "new" sources file
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:51 pm 

jebba wrote:
extraspecialbitter wrote:
I just noticed that an upgrade to BLAGHEAD produces a new "blag.list" file under /etc/apt/sources.list.d (in addition to the blaghead.list file I created prior to the upgrade). This results in reading from both the 80000 and blaghead repos, which I assume is "bad".

Yep. Bad! ;) It also lists it as 80000.... got to go.... Can you `rpm -qf /etc/apt/sources.list.d/blag.list` for me?

uh-oh. I wish I could, but now for some reason I'm not able to boot - not even into single-user mode. I get the old chestnut "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!" I'll boot BLAG 70000 and see if there might be a problem with fstab or thereabouts.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:14 am 
Site Admin

uh-oh. I wish I could, but now for some reason I'm not able to boot - not even into single-user mode. I get the old chestnut "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!" I'll boot BLAG 70000 and see if there might be a problem with fstab or thereabouts.

Sounds like maybe something related to upstart perhaps....

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:58 am 

jebba wrote:
Can you `rpm -qf /etc/apt/sources.list.d/blag.list` for me?

Here 'tis:

Code:
[root@bocajuniors]# rpm -qf /etc/apt/sources.list.d/blag.list
blag-package-config-apt-8-3blag-f8.noarch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:00 am 

For all that people trying to run blaghead... it is important to know, that it might be resulting in a non graphical or a bit unstable system... but just be brave and go for it..... blaghead experiences are needed...

the necessary repos were published by jebba before, I see many people has gotten unbootable systems after the upgrade... IMPORTANT to install these packages first (upstart and util-linux-ng), this way we can get a bootable system.

Warning: You'll find packages conflicts, reporting them here or at blag-devel mailing list is necessary...
In order to resolve conflicts, remove the package which is installed and is preventing the new package installation.. for instance PIL and python-imaging , removing python-imaging will let PIL get installed, but it will remove some dependencies like scribus.. this is just an example...
if the package you are going to remove will get rid of some important pakcages, STOP there, and post your problem.. otherwise you might get a broken system...
Jebba also removes conflicts from repos, so that's why you should report them...

Always keep in touch...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:10 am 

people... if you get to upgrade to blaghead despite conflicts or such.... a new apt's blag.list will be automatically generated...

important to disable these new lines, which uses 80000 blag repos......

keep using blaghead repos...

remember the apt's blag.list will be regenerated with 80000 blag repos, and a /etc/apt/sources.list will be created will the currently in use blaghead repos... only these last ones....
doesn't matter whether in apt's blag.list file or in sources.list...
I only use blag.list file, so sources.list is empty for me ;)

Keep in touch when using blaghead.... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:22 am 

By the way...

jebba:

conflicts from install rsyslog (rpm -q --> Not Installed) with sysklogd (rpm -q --> Installed)

removing sysklogd, will remove initscripts and rather like 180 packages.... so it is not by that way...

that stops me to get a new dist-upgrade since yesterday....

I alse was talking to weyasey, and told me to install fluxbox... but I already installed it from cd at a fresh install...
startfluxbox gives me a: couldn't connect to Xserver
For a weird reason I still have gnome-* packgaes installed, but gnome-session or X, freezes my system... and gdm just was removed at the last dist-upgrade i guess... rpm -q (Not installed)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:34 am 

shawoho wrote:
For all that people trying to run blaghead... it is important to know, that it might be resulting in a non graphical or a bit unstable system... but just be brave and go for it..... blaghead experiences are needed...

the necessary repos were published by jebba before, I see many people has gotten unbootable systems after the upgrade... IMPORTANT to install these packages first (upstart and util-linux-ng), this way we can get a bootable system.

shawoho - you're exactly correct. by installing upstart and util-linux-ng before peforming a dist-upgrade, you will get a bootable system. that's where I am now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:35 am 

shawoho wrote:
people... if you get to upgrade to blaghead despite conflicts or such.... a new apt's blag.list will be automatically generated...

remember the apt's blag.list will be regenerated with 80000 blag repos, and a /etc/apt/sources.list will be created will the currently in use blaghead repos... only these last ones....

I've removed all references to BLAG 80000 repos. I guess my question is this: is this intended to be a text-only distro for now?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:40 am 
Site Admin

[root@bocajuniors]

heh. they just beat river, btw.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:50 am 

jebba wrote:
[root@bocajuniors]

heh. they just beat river, btw.

Between dist-upgrades, I managed to bounce back and forth between the Red Sox and the Superclassico. Now *that's* a good day...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:54 am 

shawoho wrote:
I also was talking to weyasey, and told me to install fluxbox... but I already installed it from cd at a fresh install...
startfluxbox gives me a: couldn't connect to Xserver
For a weird reason I still have gnome-* packgaes installed, but gnome-session or X, freezes my system... and gdm just was removed at the last dist-upgrade i guess... rpm -q (Not installed)

I discovered the same two things: 1) that gdm is no longer installed, and 2) that even after installing fluxbox, "startfluxbox" gives me the same "Couldn't connect to XServer" error.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:55 am 
Site Admin

shawoho wrote:

I have updated the blaghead.list and conf files in the blag-package-config-apt package, so they're now updated...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:57 am 
Site Admin

You want gdm if you want a graphical system. apt-get install it. ;)

If the `apt-get dist-upgrade` or `yum update` tells you it is going to remove a bunch of stuff, don't run it. ;) Try not to lose important packages, in sum, but get the ones updated you need. :)

Have fun,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:37 am 

Thanks for all the tips and help jebba, extraspecialbitter and shawoho!
I messed up everything a second time, but got a nice, bootable system (with gdm) the third time:-) Started with upstart/util-linux-ng, and disabeled the generated blag.list after dist-upgrade. Had to reboot during upgrade, and remove multiple versions of libgnomecups and avahi. I am now almost completely upgraded, except:
Quote:
The following packages will be upgraded
aalib (1.4.0-0.12.rc5.fc7 => 1.4.0-0.15.rc5.fc9)
blag-package-config-apt (8-3blag.f8 => 9-0blag.f9)
The following NEW packages will be installed:
aalib-libs (1.4.0-0.15.rc5.fc9)
rsyslog (3.14.1-2.fc9)
The following packages have been kept back
ImageMagick (6.3.2.9-3.fc7 => 6.3.8.1-4.fc9)
ImageMagick-c++ (6.3.2.9-3.fc7 => 6.3.8.1-4.fc9)
fuse (2.7.3-2.fc7 => 2.7.3-8_9.fc8_93)
ghostscript (8.15.4-4.fc7 => 8.62-3.fc9)
ncurses (5.6-9.20070812.fc7 => 5.6-16.20080301.fc9)

Removed python-imaging as suggested, and as shawoho mentioned, there is a problem with sysklogd:
Quote:
file /etc/logrotate.d/syslog from install of rsyslog-3.14.1-2.fc9.i386 conflicts with file from package sysklogd-1.4.2-9.fc7.i386

-robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

rsyslog replaces sysklog. You may be able to remove *most* (but not all) of `rpm -qa | grep fc7`. You could `yum install rsyslog` too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next