BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:35 pm 

Hi,
I have an old Compaq laptop with an AMD-K6 333MHz CPU and 96MB RAM. The hard drive is about 3GB.

I want to install Linux on this machine, but it is too old for current BLAG. Is there an older version that would work? Can I still download old versions?

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:13 pm 

Have you already tried to install the latest blag on that machine? It's possible that it might still work. When you try to install, I believe you will automatically be switched to a text-based installer. The installation might take a long, long time, but I think it should work. I know that Blag's version of anaconda allows you to chose your desktop, and fluxbox is one of the choices. If the text-based installer gives you the same choice, then you might be good to go with a trimmed down blag system on that machine.

If on the other hand you end up trying another distribution more geared towards older hardware, you might try antiX, which I've been playing around with lately and found to be quite flexible and good. There's a new version of that coming out in the next day or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:14 am 

I tried, and it says the machine is too old for this kernel.

BLAG 70K

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:21 am 
Site Admin

BLAG10000 was the last BLAG to use the 2.4 kernel. Perhaps you could give that a spin, for kicks. It is ancient though. Maybe peanut or DSL or some of the ones that target really really old machines would fare better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:26 pm 

I decided to search for a distro suitable for this low end machine. I tried Puppy Linux, and it seems to be ok. This system is for a friend/co-worker, and he only needs word processing, spreadsheet and internet capability.

puppy-215CE-final is what I used and it seems to do the job. I installed it to the hard drive, and it works well.

I would rather stick with BLAG, but settle for any Linux over Windoze. The guy was ready to install WIN98 on this old laptop.

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:42 am 

This is one of the reasons i really dug dynebolic, its legacy support. I tend to rant on quit abit about anti-consumerism and such, and one of the things that got me really excited linux in the first place was when i realised the user optimization options for running on any hardware. The "keeping up with the jones" mentality in the modern computer industry is sick.
Surely it shoudlnt be too hard to turn a 70k install into something very usable on legacy mahcines? Fluxbox or enlightenment seem to be pretty light, were would one have to go from there?

EDIT: contents>> just checked out antiX and it looks wicked! Thanks for the tip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:06 am 
Site Admin

There's also damn small linux which also uses fluxbox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:42 am 

My first choice is to use BLAG, but will take another distro if I have to. The Puppy is working out, and I now have the guy (co-worker) talking Linux stuff to me everyday. He is still playing with it on this old laptop, but I think a desktop may be up for conversion soon.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:51 am 

I reiterate my point just cos this is a subject im keen to tap the gurus for knowledge on - it shouldnt be too hard to do a minimal install of blag, cut down enough to have all the functionality you'd need but still run ok on legacy? What are the considerations for this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:43 am 
Site Admin

Code:
if box_can_handle_gui_installation; then
 insert CD
 hit enter
else
 insert CD
 type linux text
 install=1
 while install=1
  do install_base_only
   echo "Uncheck everything, no X, no packages selected. Then I'd install stuff bit, by bit.."
 done
done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

lionsong wrote:
I reiterate my point just cos this is a subject im keen to tap the gurus for knowledge on - it shouldnt be too hard to do a minimal install of blag, cut down enough to have all the functionality you'd need but still run ok on legacy? What are the considerations for this?

I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting. A minimal install of BLAG70k, for example? Yes, this can be done and then you can use fluxbox or xfce or something. Or are you talking much older releases? The problem with them is they will have security problems since they are not updated.

Though I dont think I've answered your question--feel free to explain more what you want to know. :)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:22 am 

Cheers jeff. Basically what im interested in is adapting the current release of blag to run smoothly on whatever hardware, obviously using the most current release for security reasons as you correclty pointed out.
Im assuming this would mostly be done during the install phase, as it would be easier to start off slim rather than install everything and prune away whats not needed. Beyond not installing a flashy desktop manager and disabling gui fx ect, im wondering what tinkering should be done "under the hood" so to speak to maximise whatever meager system resources there are.
I really want to get into recycling legacy hardware, and as blag is the bar far the best FOSS desktop os iv come across, id like to be able to adapt it for this application.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:42 am 
Site Admin

at this stage uncheck everything. Then you'll have a basic, minimal system. Install stuff a package at a time ...
http://www.jayeola.org/dump/SS-alpha/sc ... t-0028.png
http://www.jayeola.org/dump/SS-alpha/sc ... t-0029.png

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:49 pm 

My attempt to install on the old laptop never got to the point where options could be un-checked.

After booting up the CD, the only thing I got on the screen was a message about the "CPU being too old for this kernel", or something like that. It went no further. This was 70K.

I tried an older version of BLAG, 50001, and was able to get the installation started, but it failed to complete the install.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:40 pm 

sorry to hijack your thread there hansen. If the install fails with 50k as well maby its a hardware issue? How does your laptop fair with other distro's installs?