FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Echo indigo io drivers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lionsong
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Echo indigo io drivers Reply with quote

Howdy gang,

Just wanted to know whether or not there were any decent rpm's that wrapped up the nessecary firmware loaders for the aforementioned pcmcia card? Iv just migrated from ubuntu to blag 70k (finally an os that doesnt live in the shadow of any sort of capitalist venture) and know there are debs around for this, but not dealt much with redhat packages. I dont mind having a go at building the alsa modules myself but im not exactly a linux guru so thought it couldnt hurt to ask.
Any info on dealing with this card in blag would be mucho appreciated.

One more thing - i know using hardware that demands propriety drivers is kinda defeating the point of using free software like blag, but the soundcard was here first and im not exactly the kind of folk who upgrade just for the sake of it.

Cheerio

jebba
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sympathize but am booting this to the non-free section... :)
lionsong
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah sorry jebba, should have thought that one over abit before posting. Think ill give the module builds a bash anyway, and be more mindful of board-tiquette in future
noldrin
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best tool is to search via google for rpm and the name of the program or the package name for the deb.
extraspecialbitter
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some success with http://rpm.pbone.net/, but the usual caveats and disclaimers about non-free software apply.
lionsong
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate ill give it a look over. I agree trying to use stuff like this soundcard is hardgoing, as the truth is im abit of a leftie and am really into the whole fsf idea of decentralizing control over software, which means that having exceptions to the rule like the odd bit of closed soft here and there is a bit of cop out (for me anyway, not trying to judge or generalize).
Plus im hopelessly paranoid and dont trust the goverment not to have all sorts of fiendish back doors in proprietry stuff that we cant see.
But the basic fact is however pro-free soft i am im more of an anti consumerist, so id rather use this soundcard till it becomes of no use (oh dear this in danger of getting shifted to the politics forum now isnt it?)

jebba
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't google it, but you 100% certain it even requires firmware? Most soundcards dont.
lionsong
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my experience yes, as the hardware itself dosent load the drivers on startup it needs a specific alsa-firmware loader. To be honest im not even massivley keen on the damn thing, but my vaio is getting long in the tooth and the built in sound is busted. Saying that its just a connector but havent had the back of it yet to find out / fix it, so thats probably my next step.
Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP