FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
CentOS 5 kernel in Blag 6k?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fcassia
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: CentOS 5 kernel in Blag 6k? Reply with quote

As you know Fedora Core 6 is no longer supported, so no more kernel updates from them after Dec 2007.

I'm still running blag 60K and before I update to blag 7K sometime next month I wanted to install the latest greatest kernel from CentOS 5.

Has anyone tried this? Since I read that FC6 and CentOS 5 are "more or less the same" does this mean I can just download the latest CentOS 5 kernel RPM and rpm -ivh kernelfile.rpm ?? Would that work? I'm worrrried about the "more or less" part. ;)

CentOS 5 is supported until 2014 or thereabouts. :)

Thanks,
FC

jebba
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it a try, it can't hurt. :)
noldrin
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RedHat kernel is very different in someways. Once a version comes out, it is version locked. They then back port fixes and new features to the kernel. So the kernel sort of drifts into something quite different than a standard linux different. The upshot is if you want to do something kernel specific, you need to get something made for the redhat kernel.

I'm tempted to do a BLAG-Legacy thing for 60K since I don't want to upgrade my work box. Would be a good lesson in package building. Might not be so stable for everyone else tho.

john maclean
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there to pick up the pieces. How are you going to do this - build from source or grab an rpm? Things to note:-
- if you add a repo be carefull when you "dist-upgrade"
- make a copy of any sources files before you change them
- make a copy of grub before it gets changed by the installation of a new kernel
- sometimes you may have to mkinitrd -o foo.img foo to get new kernels to boot

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first step is to see what happens when you upgrade BLAG 60K against a CentOS 5 repo. I'm already planning on getting Xen running on my home server, so I'll run the experiments there.
john maclean
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on that. In the meantime some Xen-related wiki entries https://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Developer
psst! Have you tried openvz? Much easier and more flexible ;-)

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP