FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Install from hard drive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
uninverted
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Install from hard drive Reply with quote

Is there any guide or instructions for installing BLAG without a CD? I'm having a bit of trouble booting from CDs at the moment (not sure if it's the discs I'm burning it to, they're pretty old, but nevermind).
extraspecialbitter
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an excellent Wiki on installing BLAG from a USB key at https://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Installing_BLAG_from_a_USB_key. Is this what you had in mind? Like other Linux distributions, BLAG can also be installed over a LAN using PXE.
uninverted
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really... I might just have to wait for some newer discs. I've booted at least three other distros from this box (Ubuntu, Debian, and Gentoo), no problem. Although it just may rely on a binary blob to work (gNewSense doesn't book either). I'm dual-booting Debian with Windows right now, but X isn't working, and I can't get a GUI up, so I'm looking for other distributions to try.
john maclean
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that you can boot from USB. If you can use that wiki entry above. What error messages if any do you get? Does the CD spin at all?

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't actually get any errors; it just goes into GRUB like the CD wasn't there. By the sound of it, the CD is spinning.

And the reason I can't boot from a USB is I don't have one.

extraspecialbitter
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it possible that your BIOS doesn't support booting from CD, or is this something that used to work before? You should be able to enter setup by hitting <F12> or <F10> during the boot process (but before the GRUB menu shows up).
uninverted
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried burning another CD, at a much lower speed, and it worked (Woohoo!). I'm posting this from BLAG right now (it's absolutely amazing). I think the problem was my CD burner. Either way, thanks for the help.
john maclean
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdrecord -speed=4 -pad -dao -data /path/to/BLAG.iso

Normally works for me.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP