FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
In a fix
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
techmoron
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: In a fix Reply with quote

I would like to quote this:
why does free or non free really make a difference? i mean i do understand your argument in this particular case and it might be a good idea to do this, since clearly there are different free & non-free things/issues which can easily be solution/problem, i mean more like in general?

like google is not free, you still use it though.
internet is not free, well to most folks anyways.
time itself is not free, neither are feelings.
pretty much nothing is really free in this life or the virtual world, be it software, people or anything else.

does it not matter more to get stuff to work? like personally i wouldn't care less what label [proprietary, open, closed, free, non free...] does a particular piece of software or hardware has as long as it does what i want it to do and it does so in a way i want it to.
(This is from grOOve. Hope its alright to quote you)
I couln't have said it better myself . This is what I was trying to say but in a somewhat academic style. Public transport is not free but we use it etc.........

techmoron
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: In a fix Reply with quote

I would like to quote this from grOOve:

why does free or non free really make a difference? i mean i do understand your argument in this particular case and it might be a good idea to do this, since clearly there are different free & non-free things/issues which can easily be solution/problem, i mean more like in general?

like google is not free, you still use it though.
internet is not free, well to most folks anyways.
time itself is not free, neither are feelings.
pretty much nothing is really free in this life or the virtual world, be it software, people or anything else.

does it not matter more to get stuff to work? like personally i wouldn't care less what label [proprietary, open, closed, free, non free...] does a particular piece of software or hardware has as long as it does what i want it to do and it does so in a way i want it to.

I couln't have said it better myself! This is what I was trying to say but in an academicising style. Public tranaport isn't free but you still use it etc.....[/quote]

noldrin
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have been best off backing up your stuff to the external hard disk and then installed as a non upgrade. You can try to install Windows XP from CD again, this time installing on the main hard drive. Hopefully it won't delete your important data, but who knows for sure.
Jason
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still miss the point dude. Do you take a broken dishwasher to a car mechanic to fix? Do you go to the vet if you have a cold? Maybe you go to the dentist to get your hair cut?

It quite simply would be fake of us non-Windows users to offer you technical support.

What do you want me to say? Yeah sure go ahead your data will be fine? Or give a generic guess and say nah it will wipe it? Seriously what is the true answer you seek or are you simply seeking to troll?

Look up there ^^^^^ and see what it says.

Quote:
BLAG
Forums for BLAG

It is as much to being as forum off topic as it has to do with freedom. Had someone come here asking for a part to their flux capacitor, do you think they would get an accurate answer?

We try our best here to give the best support and help needed. No answer we could give you would be accurate or leave the poster feeling confident their answer is true.

So I will give you the answer you need. Your data is either going to be 100% fine or 100% screwed. It is a 50/50 shot but that is life with Windows.

Now you will argue this point because you are that sort of person but you won't get a better answer than that here because ^^^^^ it does not say Windows, Microsoft, 2000, XP, Vista, Service Pack, NTFS or any of these other buzz words you may happen to find on a forum that actually welcomes Windows topics and can support those.

Now let me ask you a question. I want to steal a space shuttle engine and put in on a go-kart. I am curious to see what 12.4 million horsepower engine behind me can accomplish. Where can I get one? It is not free, probably highly unmaintainable and might crash much like Windows but it is as relevant to these forums as your topic.

jebba
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason wrote:
You still miss the point dude. Do you take a broken dishwasher to a car mechanic to fix? Do you go to the vet if you have a cold? Maybe you go to the dentist to get your hair cut?

LOL. that pretty much sums it up.

uninverted
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARG! You're missing the point entirely! Free software has nothing to do with price!

Free Software means:
1 - The freedom to run the program for any purpose (this one stops H.A.L. from being free software)
2 - The freedom to study and change the program (With proprietary software like MS's crap, you have to beg the developer for features, and if something goes wrong, sorry, tell the developer and wait)
3 - The freedom to redistribute the program, for $0 or a fee (Every program gains this freedom at some point)
4 - The freedom to improve upon the program, and share changes with it's other users (this one is why almost every free program is technically better than it's non-free counterpart)

So,

"like google is not free, you still use it though."

Google is proprietary, but it's a little different for websites. It certainly has 1 and 3

"internet is not free, well to most folks anyways."

GNU/Linux has a big chunk of the server market, and the free Apache program is really, really big there as well. The internet might be free, depending on the site (www.gnu.org certainly, msn not so much)

"time itself is not free, neither are feelings."

You're free to do and think whatever the hell you want, in most of the world

"pretty much nothing is really free in this life or the virtual world, be it software, people or anything else. "

For the first one, with BLAG and similar systems, you can run your whole computer on free software. For the second two, see the part before this.

john maclean
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an unfortunate choice of words but freedom != free. Freedom does mean the chance or choice to "look under the hood and mess about with this software stuff". It does not mean that no money must change hands. We choose to use an operating system and tools with which we are free to do more or less as we like.

For instance I've given away, distributed, torrented and sold tonnes of BLAG CD's.

That's because I'm FREE to do so. When I get a call for tech support I am FREE to charge market rates, same as when I give tuition or write documentation. Free to change the code as I wish. Take stuff out, put stuff in, mix it all up....
...I am also FREE to pick up the pieces when my system(s) breaks but that is how we learn!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: In a fix Reply with quote

techmoron wrote:
Hope its alright to quote you

yes of course you are FREE to quote me for a limited time offer of $1000 per symbol in the quote including punctuation marks. :)))

john maclean wrote:
It's an unfortunate choice of words but freedom != free.

freedom < free ; because freedom is assumed within some sort of boundaries, the only free that I personally see as truly FREE is being able to do whatever you like in whichever way you like and this is precisely why such line of thoughts commonly end up in limbo's everyone calls utopias..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BLAG Forum Index -> non-free Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP