BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:32 pm

All times are UTC

How committed are you to free software?
I run all free software, no proprietary software. 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
I run mostly free software, just some proprietary. 48%  48%  [ 12 ]
I'd like to run all free software but I need some proprietary software to make my computer run properly. 40%  40%  [ 10 ]
I don't care about free software. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't think about it. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 25
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:15 am 

Because of his unwavering advocacy, some people see him as a sputtering madman unable to have normal conversation. But if you actually meet him he is down to earth and good hearted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:22 pm 

berkbw wrote:
Wrongo - there are linuces for PPCs.

Yes I run Debian on PPC. But even with no contrib or non free in your sources.list you still have binary blobs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

oswaldkelso wrote:
berkbw wrote:

Yes I run Debian on PPC. But even with no contrib or non free in your sources.list you still have binary blobs.

The linux-libre kernel should compile on PPC too.
ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/mirrors/fsfla/releases/

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:23 am 

Currently getting familiar with blag and re-familiar with gnewsense.

I have been a debian-ite for a long time though and never used contrib/non-free and have even went as far as using a clean kernel too. I disable my onboard stuff that uses known non-free firmware because I do not need it anyway.

That being said, I do enjoy 3d rendering. I use intel and/or via chipsets so no proprietary drivers afaik. But I have been evaluating the whole glx/mesa/dri issue and I am considering dropping it entirely and doing without 3d entirely.

So I am adamant about free software.....just undecided on one issue currently.

As far as videos and music, I do not expect my browser to handle those. I prefer to download and watch/listen with my fav app. Seems healthier for my browser too...less bloat....more stability....win win. :)

Now which one do I pick for the poll???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:07 am 
Site Admin

to be honest I wouldn't know 3d if it hit me. What is "3d" all about? Do the characters "look better" or is for games and video/movies? Not flaming here but I'm happy with VESA or VGA. So long as I can see text I'm happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:03 am 
Site Admin

john maclean wrote:
to be honest I wouldn't know 3d if it hit me. What is "3d" all about? Do the characters "look better" or is for games and video/movies? Not flaming here but I'm happy with VESA or VGA. So long as I can see text I'm happy.

Both proprietary and open source drivers for a variety of cards offer the XRender extension, which allows hardware rendering of 2D applications. This gives a large speed boost in applications such as firefox, thunderbird, all of KDE4 and many, many others. There's also the XVideo extension for video playback.

In addition, they offer other options such as dual monitor, xrandr 1.2 (allowing you to add/remove monitors without restarting X), S-Video/Component output.

And finally, of course, by using drivers other than vesa, you get 3D! Some people use this for games, others for xscreensaver ;) and quite a number of games you would think are completely 2D (and are open source) use opengl.

So there are plenty of benefits to using non-vesa open source drivers, or if you own an nvidia card, proprietary drivers.

Post subject: Just 2
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:18 pm 

On one box I keep 2 proprietary applications: (1) Flash, because
gnash cannot play most Web videos; and (2) Vuescan, a proprietary
application for scanners. The free alternative, SANE, does not
support film scanners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:53 am 

jebba wrote:
oswaldkelso wrote:
berkbw wrote:

The linux-libre kernel should compile on PPC too.
ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/mirrors/fsfla/releases/

-Jeff
Quote:

Thanks. It had crossed my mind that I could use the libre kernel. I always thought the Debian kernel was tweeked? so was not sure if I could use it without breaking my system. I'm not a techie user and have only compiled about two things in the 3 years I've used Debian. That said I'll give it a go when I get back home and report back.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

oswaldkelso wrote:
Thanks. It had crossed my mind that I could use the libre kernel. I always thought the Debian kernel was tweeked? so was not sure if I could use it without breaking my system. I'm not a techie user and have only compiled about two things in the 3 years I've used Debian. That said I'll give it a go when I get back home and report back.

Yes, you should be able to use -libre kernels with debian. I use non-debian kernels with debian ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:58 am 

jebba wrote:
Yes, you should be able to use -libre kernels with debian. I use non-debian kernels with debian ok.

You were right :) "I'm free" (Made me think of Mr Humphries from that 80's TV show)

I used this how to and on my old imac 333mhz it took about 8 hours to compile

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=20789

Some screen snaps

http://www.my2bits.org/?cat=19

Will any upgrades replace the libre-kernel? at the moment I have a kernel that is newer than the current lenny one (the newer kernel was held back at the last upgrade for some reason) I guess I can always compile another.

Anyway thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:11 am 
Site Admin

oswaldkelso wrote:
jebba wrote:

You were right :) "I'm free" (Made me think of Mr Humphries from that 80's TV show)

I used this how to and on my old imac 333mhz it took about 8 hours to compile

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=20789

Some screen snaps

http://www.my2bits.org/?cat=19

Will any upgrades replace the libre-kernel? at the moment I have a kernel that is newer than the current lenny one (the newer kernel was held back at the last upgrade for some reason) I guess I can always compile another.

woo hoo! Nice screenshot too.

I dont know if debian would replace a -custom kernel package on upgrades.

So did you have your own resulting .deb out of that? I've done custom debian kernel installs, but i never packaged them up into proper .debs. Is this with gnewsense or straight debian?

cool, thx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:52 am 

Straight Debian, Lenny in fact. Yes there were 2 .debs created in the /usr/src and in /boot there was:

/boot/vmlinux-2.6.26.3-libre1-custom
/boot/config-2.6.26.3-libre1-custom
/boot/System.map-2.6.26.3-libre1-custom
/boot/initrd.img-2.6.26.3-libre1-custom

/usr/src/linux-image-2.6.26.3-libre1-custom_2.6.26.3-libre1-custom-10.00.Custom_powerpc.deb

/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.26.3-libre1-custom_2.6.26.3-libre1-custom-10.00.Custom_powerpc.deb

I was looking for the original kernel everywhere not knowing that only kernels built from source went in to /usr/src/ The only references I could find were in /boot

The how to said the .deb could be kept and used on other systems
"(You can transfer the two .deb files to other Debian Etch or Lenny systems and install them there exactly the same way, which means you don't have to compile the kernel there again.) "
I'm not sure could do that and get a working system. All a bit above my skill set really. Anyway I'm well chuffed.