FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Blag and free software poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How committed are you to free software?
I run all free software, no proprietary software.
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
I run mostly free software, just some proprietary.
48%
 48%  [ 12 ]
I'd like to run all free software but I need some proprietary software to make my computer run properly.
40%
 40%  [ 10 ]
I don't care about free software.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't think about it.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 25

jebba
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm still running djbdns which i set up in 2000 before i fully understood the license. ahem.

Oh, and by the way, it's about the only nameserver not affected by this "huge" dns hole that is going to be talked about incessantly... The latest version of the software was released in February 2001. :)

I'm stuck on the same author's mailserver too, for the same reason.

I can't give you a URL to this dangerous software though!

-Jeff

jebba
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahah! I didn't even notice it, but djbdns has been in the public domain since last year! :))))))

djb wrote:
What are the distribution terms for djbdns?
2007.12.28: I hereby place the djbdns package (in particular, djbdns-1.05.tar.gz, with MD5 checksum 3147c5cd56832aa3b41955c7a51cbeb2) into the public domain. The package is no longer copyrighted.

http://cr.yp.to/distributors.html

This is coming in to blag :)

-Jeff

ewl
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, public domain is as free as it gets.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewl wrote:

are you sure?
honestly, GPL should be more free than pd.
I'm not exactly familiar with pd laws (since they're just us law afaik) but where is the freedom if there are _no_ boundaries?

berkbw
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renilgh wrote:
ewl wrote:

are you sure?
honestly, GPL should be more free than pd.
I'm not exactly familiar with pd laws (since they're just us law afaik) but where is the freedom if there are _no_ boundaries?

I believe that is what/where it is. Boundries existt exist anyway. I don't know actually what PD means in the various courts of the world. Of course, I would "expect" it to mean that we are free to do with it what we wish, period.
b-

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, we could take the code and put it under GPLv3 if we want. Someone else could put it under BSD license, etc. Basically they aren't under copyright restrictions at all anymore.
noldrin
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
Ya, we could take the code and put it under GPLv3 if we want. Someone else could put it under BSD license, etc. Basically they aren't under copyright restrictions at all anymore.

If you did it would most likely be invalid. You would need to add original art to the project to relicense it. For example if I took a public domain song and rerecorded it, I wouldn't be able to say the song was my copyright. But if I did what Led Zeplin did and take public domain songs and redo them into new songs, I could copyright them myself.

So basically if I took said public domain software package and renamed it "noldrin's djbdns" and released under GPL3, and then someone else took my package and gave it out without souce, I would have no legal leg to stand on. I would only have legal leg to stand on if I added my own code. Now I could take GPL v3 code and add it directly into the public domain code and keep it GPL v3.

renilgh
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing this up. So this really seems to be what the standard for "intellectual property" should be instead of copyright (link)
jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noldrin wrote:
So basically if I took said public domain software package and renamed it "noldrin's djbdns" and released under GPL3, and then someone else took my package and gave it out without souce, I would have no legal leg to stand on.

I really don't know or not, but I think you actually could and they'd have to distribute it under GPL *if they got it from you*. Of course if they downloaded it from djb they could do whatever the hell they wanted.

But i dont *know* this, just sort of speculating.

-Jeff

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renilgh wrote:
Thanks for clearing this up. So this really seems to be what the standard for "intellectual property" should be instead of copyright (link)

RMS cringes and corrects people everytime they use the phrase "intellectual property" because it's inaccurate and deceptive. I'm sure he has an essay about it on his site or at FSF if someone knows the link...

renilgh
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:

RMS cringes and corrects people everytime they use the phrase "intellectual property" because it's inaccurate and deceptive. I'm sure he has an essay about it on his site or at FSF if someone knows the link...

That's why I used quotation marks (-;

Do you mean this essay?

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renilgh wrote:
jebba wrote:

That's why I used quotation marks (-;

Do you mean this essay?

Looks like one of them....

berkbw
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I 1st got into unices, ..ca 1980.. Stallman was already considered ancient wisdom. And, it seems, he's still going, like the energizer bunny! How many of us expect to be as powerful and outstanding as he? I used to think that he was a tad flung afar, but as the years pass, I find him more and more meaningful.

b-

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berkbw wrote:
When I 1st got into unices, ..ca 1980.. Stallman was already considered ancient wisdom. And, it seems, he's still going, like the energizer bunny! How many of us expect to be as powerful and outstanding as he? I used to think that he was a tad flung afar, but as the years pass, I find him more and more meaningful.

His tenacity is amazing. He's had so many other good ideas too, like, say, a free/open encyclopedia. I think that one worked out ok too.

ewl
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the ogg-theora recording of his recent talk in Manchester:

http://manchester.fsuk.org/blog/2008/05/06/free-software-in-ethics-and-society-richard-stallman-manchester-1st-may/

It's good. He does his St. IGNUcius bit too.

Page 2 of 3

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP