BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:46 am 
Site Admin

http://www.blagblagblag.org/to_rule_them_all.html

noldrin wrote:
My only wish list would be to replace cursed gThumb viewer with GQview since I'd prefer for gThumb to never darken my computer's door step again.

Heh. I far prefer gqview to gthumb as well. I think gthumb got dragged in by nautilus or something, but I'm not certain of that.

I have a series of bugzilla tickets called:

"One $foo to Rule Them All: $bar"

It then has various categories like:
"One Image Viewer to Rule Them All: gthumb"
http://bugzilla.blagblagblag.org/show_bug.cgi?id=783

This is probably the best place to lobby for and against certain packages. Like if I was going to add gqview, gthumb would have to come out since I really want only one $foo for each category in the name of staying lean. Of course we break this all the time, but that's the idea.

So check these out, and update them for the best stuff for 90k *now* or you'll get what I got in there already! :)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:32 pm 

Cool, at some point I'll have to poke around there some more. I definitely understand about only having one. Would you be able to hack the nautilus package to not request? I guess the problem is the first update to nautilus and you'll need the install gthumb

I'm just curious as I was noodling around the idea of doing a custom spin with the BLAG repos, but some packages have dependencies that aren't needed for the functionality I want out of that package and I'd like to trim them out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:51 pm 

Downloaded and installed 89999.42222 yesterday. Looks real good. Now looking forward to beta and stable. I like the 70K theme and new wallpaper. Install went smoothly. Wish you had kept the XFS install support, but made do with ext3. Will try to run update tonight and add a few things. Still haven't been able to connect my rt2500 wifi using the install kernel, but at least network manager found the card and tried to set it up. Did get this card working by booting oliva's 2.6.5.2-7.fc10 libre kernel, with NO OTHER CHANGES required.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

datman wrote:
Downloaded and installed 89999.42222 yesterday. Looks real good. Now looking forward to beta and stable. I like the 70K theme and new wallpaper. Install went smoothly.

Nice, thanks :)

datman wrote:
Wish you had kept the XFS install support, but made do with ext3.

I haven't changed anything with XFS. AFAIK you have to specify it on the boot: line of the CD, and this has been true for years.

datman wrote:
Will try to run update tonight and add a few things. Still haven't been able to connect my rt2500 wifi using the install kernel, but at least network manager found the card and tried to set it up. Did get this card working by booting oliva's 2.6.5.2-7.fc10 libre kernel, with NO OTHER CHANGES required.

Woo hoo! Ya, you should be able to use that kernel ok with 90k , i'm guessing.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

noldrin wrote:
Cool, at some point I'll have to poke around there some more. I definitely understand about only having one. Would you be able to hack the nautilus package to not request? I guess the problem is the first update to nautilus and you'll need the install gthumb

I'm just curious as I was noodling around the idea of doing a custom spin with the BLAG repos, but some packages have dependencies that aren't needed for the functionality I want out of that package and I'd like to trim them out.

I'm going thru this exact process right now. I am making a custom spin for Eee, called FREEEEE. It treats the blag repo as the upstream repo and pulls from there. It will have it's *own* repo, but smaller. Within that repo I plan to rebuild things to slim them down. Nautilus is one that will almost certainly be rebuilt, so I can remove samba requirement. ;) I'll check gthumb too "while I'm there".

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:49 am 

I was going to enter this in bugzilla, but there's no entry for 90k. I don't know if this is a bug with blag 90k or with fedora 9. My synaptics touchpad works fine except that the tap click function doesn't work. Scrolling works and clicking with the buttons works, but not the tap click. I even edited xorg.conf to include the synaptics configuration, still no dice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

ewl wrote:
I was going to enter this in bugzilla, but there's no entry for 90k. I don't know if this is a bug with blag 90k or with fedora 9. My synaptics touchpad works fine except that the tap click function doesn't work. Scrolling works and clicking with the buttons works, but not the tap click. I even edited xorg.conf to include the synaptics configuration, still no dice.

Ah, ya feel free to enter bugs under whatever. We don't have 200,000 of them so i don't sweat the categorization much. I just look at the full list.

That change is a config change, but I know not where it is offhand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:16 pm 

Tapping works for me after adding this to xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
InputDevice    "Synaptics" "CorePointer"

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Synaptics"
   Driver      "synaptics"
   Option       "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
   Option       "Protocol" "auto-dev"
   Option       "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
   Option      "SendCoreEvents"
        Option      "TapButton1" "1"
        Option      "TapButton2" "2"
        Option      "TapButton3" "3"
        Option      "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

As far as I remember from when I searched for it, there was mention on some fedora forum that tapping had been deliberately removed in the upstream package.

BTW, are someone else also having sound problems with 90k? I use intel8x0, and sound is always muted after booting. I also get these annoying clicks all the time. Pulseaudio is enabled, but doesn't show up in gnome-sound-properties. Had similar problems with blaghead when I upgraded from 70k, but not when I went from 79k.

Apart from that, 90k (and blaghead!) is beautiful:-)
Thanks again for the great work!

- robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

veganix wrote:
BTW, are someone else also having sound problems with 90k? I use intel8x0, and sound is always muted after booting. I also get these annoying clicks all the time. Pulseaudio is enabled, but doesn't show up in gnome-sound-properties. Had similar problems with blaghead when I upgraded from 70k, but not when I went from 79k.

Sound works fine for me and I think i have that sound chip in a computer or two. I did see it mentioned on the fedora-devel list today though:

Valent Turkovic wrote:
Loud clicks from speakers (snd_intel_8x0):
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=450395

Can somebody please look at this?

Cheers,
Valent.

The follow up message:

Josh Boyer, Fedora Engineering Steering Committee wrote:
There are currently 363 kernel bugs open for F9. 271 of those were submitted before yours.

josh

I really dislike fedora-devel list. I've been reading/posting more in the last two weeks there than I have in years, but it's left a nasty taste in my mouth. I should go back to ignoring it and sleeping better ;)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

Re: clicking intel:
http://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2008/03/ ... hda_intel/

Post subject: BLAG 89999.42222
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:08 pm 

I downloaded BLAG 89999.42222 from the repo and performed a fresh install this afternoon. The install itself was very smooth and intuitive. After the first reboot, my first attempt to do an "apt-update" was fine, but my first "apt-get install" failed on a lockdev dependency. This was easily fixed with an "apt-get --fix-broken install" with no packages. The other change I needed to make was to uncomment out the line "GPG-Check "false";" in /etc/apt/apt.conf. After that it was smooth sailing. :^)

Code:
pablo@tulum=> uname -r
2.6.25.6-libre.55.fc9.i686
pablo@tulum=> cat /etc/blag-release
BLAG release 89999.10000 (chlorine)