FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
$PATH and icecast questions

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BLAG Forum Index -> support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cfar893fm
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: $PATH and icecast questions Reply with quote

so ive been using the terminal a lot more recently and liking it, though im still generally lost, but ive learned a lot of exciting new spells (thanks to this forum, for one). one lingering question i have is this:

in blag, frequently, certain commands require that you preface them with /sbin/ or some such, which isnt so inconvenient, just confusing. but ive heard that there's a way - by "modifying $PATH" perhaps? - to no longer need to do that. what is $PATH and how is it related to what im describing and how do i resolve this?

also, is there a conveniently-accessible command reference with brief explanations, not too cryptic, for blag?



Last edited by cfar893fm on Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
cfar is chattanooga first amendment radio, an independant microradio station broadcasting on 89.3 fm in downtown chattanooga, tennessee, since november 2005.



Cool. Is that you? That's rad. :) Got an Internet stream by any chance?


As for the commands & PATH, well, can someone take up those Qs?

-Jeff

cfar893fm
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that's us! two and a half years on air 24/7! we just recently moved in to our new studio space, with "free" wifi internet access, so now were trying to persuade a couple old junk computers to stream the studio output online to a remote transmitter/antenna sight on a hilltop. we used to be online a year or so ago, and i just today got the icecast server set up again (on blag 60k). the problem however is that i can't get in to set up port forwarding on the router we're stealing access from. the latest plan is to use dd-wrt to up the antenna gain on a netgear wnr834bv2 router set up at a friendly house nearby and see if we can pick up a strong-enough signal from there. and if we can, were going to try to do live remote broadcasts from a 4-day punkrock music festival next week!

one current issue (this all probably belongs in its own thread...) is that the mp3 muse/icecast steam's sound quality - even when at 8.5, the most the server can handle before distorting - leaves much to be desired. hollow-sounding, low volume (from stereo out (at 10) on a peavey 12x2 mixer), easily distorted, and - worst - in mono. (muse's -c 2 option only makes a shrill buzz on the second channel. maybe it's a cable problem.)

any, any advice at all for how to do any of this would be greatly appreciated!

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfar893fm wrote:
yeah that's us! two and a half years on air 24/7!


Rad. :)

cfar893fm wrote:
we just recently moved in to our new studio space, with "free" wifi internet access, so now were trying to persuade a couple old junk computers to stream the studio output online to a remote transmitter/antenna sight on a hilltop. we used to be online a year or so ago, and i just today got the icecast server set up again (on blag 60k). the problem however is that i can't get in to set up port forwarding on the router we're stealing access from. the latest plan is to use dd-wrt to up the antenna gain on a netgear wnr834bv2 router set up at a friendly house nearby and see if we can pick up a strong-enough signal from there. and if we can, were going to try to do live remote broadcasts from a 4-day punkrock music festival next week!


Would it be easier to stream out to the BLAG server? That way you shouldn't have to set up port forwarding and all that.

For kicks, I just set this up.
host: radio.blagblagblag.org
port: 8000
mountpoint ogg: /cfar893fm.ogg
mountpoint mp3: /cfar893fm.mp3
password=cfar893fm

So the full URL(s) would be:
http://radio.blagblagblag.org:8000/cfar893fm.ogg
http://radio.blagblagblag.org:8000/cfar893fm.mp3

If you want to use that go ahead and get started any time you want. You can email me and we can change the password and such ;) moe@blagblagblag.org

I had it running for a long time, but then not running for a long time, and now i've turned it on again, presumably for a long time: open streaming to the blag icecast server:

host: radio.blagblagblag.org
port: 8000
mountpoint ogg: /blag.ogg
mountpoint mp3: /blag.mp3
password=blagblag

So the full URL(s) would be:
http://radio.blagblagblag.org:8000/blag.ogg
http://radio.blagblagblag.org:8000/blag.mp3

Now we are well off topic. ;)

cfar893fm wrote:
one current issue (this all probably belongs in its own thread...) is that the mp3 muse/icecast steam's sound quality - even when at 8.5, the most the server can handle before distorting - leaves much to be desired. hollow-sounding, low volume (from stereo out (at 10) on a peavey 12x2 mixer), easily distorted, and - worst - in mono. (muse's -c 2 option only makes a shrill buzz on the second channel. maybe it's a cable problem.)


Yes, you can certainly get a better stream than what you are describing with MuSE ( http://muse.dyne.org ). Perhaps once you get something up I can listen to it and see if i can hear what the problem is. You may have the input gain set to high or something.

Have fun,

-Jeff

cfar893fm
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa sht yeah that would be awesome! thanks!
jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfar893fm wrote:
whoa sht yeah that would be awesome! thanks!


Cool! I'm listening on BLAGHEAD :)

Code:
mplayer -ao pulse http://radio.blagblagblag.org:8000/cfar893fm.mp3

cfar893fm
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah! sorry no live dj's yet tonight, both that were scheduled cancelled, but there's an all-night party on air about every other night so who knows.

what's up with the high-pitched squeal in the background? any ideas? it has to be a digital problem id think. it's noticeably reduced since moving the stream to radio.blagblagblag.org so maybe it's a soundcard thing... ive tried lowering every variable in the sequence from the soundboard to xmms but it doesnt really fluctuate with the volume. the xmms equalizer helps some, but only at the end.

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: $PATH and icecast questions Reply with quote

cfar893fm wrote:
in blag, frequently, certain commands require that you preface them with /sbin/ or some such, which isnt so inconvenient, just confusing. but ive heard that there's a way - by "modifying $PATH" perhaps? - to no longer need to do that. what is $PATH and how is it related to what im describing and how do i resolve this?


(I'm using BLAGHEAD on x86_64 in the following example, but it should be something similar on your system).

Code:
$ echo $PATH
/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/lib64/ccache:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/home/foo/bin


So running `echo $PATH` will tell you where to search for different applications. Each application your run, like muse, icecast, firefox, etc. are all sitting in a directory somewhere on your hard disk. *Most* applications you run are in /usr/bin. But you see the above $PATH doesn't show sbin in it anywhere. Well the /usr/sbin and /sbin directories are supposed to be "sysadmin commands", which aren't supposed to be in a regular users' $PATH.

So some people suggest when you type `su` to root you should type `su -` (that's su with a space then a dash). That makes you inherit root's $PATH, which includes /sbin and /usr/sbin

What I do is I add /sbin and /usr/sbin to my $PATH by editing ~/.bashrc. (Thats /home/username/.bashrc -- "dot" bashrc). You add a directories between colons. You could add the line:

Code:
PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin:/sbin


To your .bashrc and put it in your $PATH.

Now I should just really add /usr/sbin and /sbin to users' $PATH in BLAG I suppose, eh? Anyone got a suggestion as to best way to go about that. Hopefully something just dumped into /etc/skel or something.


A post of mine about this in fedora-devel, fwiw:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-May/msg00222.html

-Jeff

cfar893fm
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For kicks, I just set this up.
host: radio.blagblagblag.org
port: 8000
mountpoint ogg: /cfar893fm.ogg
mountpoint mp3: /cfar893fm.mp3
password=cfar893fm

So the full URL(s) would be:
http://radio.blagblagblag.org:8000/cfar893fm.ogg
http://radio.blagblagblag.org:8000/cfar893fm.mp3


so normally when i set up an icecast stream, the ".mp3" is omitted, meaning that firefox opens the link as .m3u, which then automatically opens in a music player. with the .mp3 at the end, it tries to download the file, which is infinitely large. how could i set up a link that anyone can click and the stream automatically starts playing?

is there a way to access the icecast server status page for this stream? it has such a link.

jebba
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfar893fm wrote:
Quote:
For kicks, I just set this up.
host: radio.blagblagblag.org
port: 8000
mountpoint ogg: /cfar893fm.ogg
mountpoint mp3: /cfar893fm.mp3
password=cfar893fm

So the full URL(s) would be:
http://radio.blagblagblag.org:8000/cfar893fm.ogg
http://radio.blagblagblag.org:8000/cfar893fm.mp3


cfar893fm wrote:
so normally when i set up an icecast stream, the ".mp3" is omitted, meaning that firefox opens the link as .m3u, which then automatically opens in a music player. with the .mp3 at the end, it tries to download the file, which is infinitely large. how could i set up a link that anyone can click and the stream automatically starts playing?


Well, if it starts downloading instead of playing it, that is a function of the player itself, not the stream. You could serve up a .m3u or .pls file somewhere which points to the stream, like:

Code:
$ cat cfar893fm.pls
[playlist]
NumberOfEntries=1
File1=http://radio.blagblagblag.org:8000/cfar893fm.mp3


I think that should do it fine.

cfar893fm wrote:
is there a way to access the icecast server status page for this stream? it has such a link.


http://radio.blagblagblag.org:8000/admin/

(note, it *needs* the trailing "/" in the URL).

Some docs:
http://icecast.org/docs/icecast-trunk/icecast2_admin.html

-Jeff

cfar893fm
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
cfar893fm wrote:
is there a way to access the icecast server status page for this stream? it has such a link.


http://radio.blagblagblag.org:8000/admin/

(note, it *needs* the trailing "/" in the URL).


sorry for being such a dumbass, but i guess it needs the admin password? the source password i have doesnt work, using any probable usernames. when ive set up an icecast server, anyone can access the server status page without a password, or follow the link to the admin page with one. im just trying to set up some sort of way for computer-illiterate folks to be able to listen online. ill go back and re-read the icecast manual later tonight and see what i can figure out. thanks!

Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BLAG Forum Index -> support
Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP