FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
BLAG 70K won't recognize audio cd's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbassey
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: BLAG 70K won't recognize audio cd's Reply with quote

When I load an audio cd into my dvd drive (Memorex 530 i think) the drive does not play. Audacious does not open. If I click on the icon and select play nothing happens. I can play the cd with the gnome cd player, I can rip the cd. It simply does not open automatically. Audacious does not recognize the cd claiming that there is no cd in the drive or it is not an audio cd.
Saint of Killers
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked in the settings for Audacious that it is pointed at the right mount point for your cd/dvd drive? I've found on a few distros it seems to need pointing in the right location, as it doesn't seem set up correctly by default.
tbassey
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry not to reply earlier. I guess I'm stupid were would i do this Preferences, or is under "usr/share/Audacious"? I can't seem to locate the point were I would do this.
Saint of Killers
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is stupid, it's all a learning process. :)

With Audacious open, right-click on the player section at the top, and from the options menu that appears, choose Preferences at the bottom, then choose Plugins from the list of options on the left, then look for, and select, CD Audio Plugin down the options now available, and once it's highlit, choose Preferences at the bottom. It will now show a menu for CD Audio Player Configuration. Check that Audacious is using the same mount point for your cd/dvd drive as the rest of your system (Nautilus, etc), making sure they are all using /dev/cdrom, or /dev/dvdrom, etc. Have a disc in the drive while testing this, so it can definitely see it. If needed, change from /dev/cdrom to /dev/dvdrom, or whatever is appropriate.

Let me know if this helps.

tbassey
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked as directed. The system sees /dev/cdrom but the directory /mnt/cdrom is not recognized. It says Failed to check directory /mnt/cdrom. Error: no such file or directory.
Saint of Killers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't at my desktop when originally replying, am now. Just checked my drive mount, and it's at /media/CDROM . Check yours, I know some seem to mount it under /mnt , but /media seems to be the mount point for this, at least on mine.

Also, what hardware are you running please? SATA or PATA? I'm still running PATA, tho I don't think that should make any real diff, but I can't be sure.

jebba
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historically, the systems have used /mnt/cdrom and such. In the last few releases, everything has been moved to automounting under /media, such as /media/cdrom. Some old applications may still be looking in /mnt/cdrom. So you can update the application to the new location, if you want. But for *audio* it doesn't actually *mount* the cd, so i'm not certain there. Hmm. Anyway, the device is still /dev/cdrom if you have just one cdrom. Maybe i'll know more when finish coffee. ;)
berkbw
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about linking cdrom to media?
b

stevo32
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint of Killers' method is correct (I've tried) and will allow audacity to play audio CDs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried changing to /media/cdrom, no go. Is it possible that my dvd drive and audacious don't like each other?
tbassey
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried replacing my DVD with my old cd crive to see if that would make a difference. It didn't. So can I set up Grip to read the drive on insertion of a cd?
jebba
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to check that things are mapped correctly, does this eject the correct drive?

Code:
eject /dev/cdrom

Also, do you have multiple CD/DVD drives?

Code:
ls /dev/cd* /dev/dvd*

extraspecialbitter
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"wodim" is another useful tool for listing devices:

Code:
pablo@lunes=> wodim --devices
wodim: Overview of accessible drives (1 found) :
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 0  dev='/dev/scd0'     rwrw-- : 'SAMSUNG' 'DVD-ROM SD-616E'

tbassey
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check eject /dev/cdrom and it works.

The device atatched is:
wodim: Overview of accessible drives (1 found) :
0 dev='/dev/scd0' rwrw-- : 'Memorex' 'DVD+-RAM 530L v1'
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and the drives are these
/dev/cdrom
/dev/cdrom-sr0
/dev/cdrom-sr1
/dev/cdrw
/dev/cdrw-sr0
/dev/cdrw-sr1
/dev/cdwriter
/dev/cdwriter-sr0
/dev/cdwriter-sr1
/dev/dvd
/dev/dvdrw
/dev/dvdrw-sr0
/dev/dvd-sr0
/dev/dvdwriter
/dev/dvdwriter-sr0

jebba
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it with xmms and the xmms-cdread package:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install xmms-cdread

(I dont see an equivalent audacious-cdread package, but i'm not sure if one is needed or not)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BLAG Forum Index -> support Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP