FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Is the worst Linux better than MS Windows?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
berkbw
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to the OP. NO!! The WORST linuces lock up and crash. They require extensive, arcane knowledge to produce the most normal functions. Unless they are turn-key, completely menued systems, with no re-configurations required for new periphs and such, most M$ users will be lost. Simple things such as mail formatting, char. coding, attachments, viewing video, etc., become major tasks. Major superuser type hand holding will be required.
b-

hansencomputers
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In answer to the OP. NO!! The WORST linuces lock up and crash. They require extensive, arcane knowledge to produce the most normal functions.

My thoughts were more about "worst" meaning loaded with the non-free stuff, not so much a functionality issue. I know from my own experience they are not all the same. I stick with BLAG because it works so well, and I'm on-board with the FREE aspect too.

Thanks,
Mike

ewl
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could possibly make a linux distro that's worse than windows. Just do linux from scratch and really screw it up. Of course if by worse you mean most evil, then windows has that all sewn up...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say yes - "Half a loaf is better than none".

But there are a lot of friendly all-free distros. gNewSense is more or less ubuntu without the blobs, and Dyne:bolic seems fairly easy (I haven't tried it). And it's not like BLAG's Slackware: Anaconda is a great installer, and there's lots of functionality out of the box, with very little need to use the command-line.

And if you mean worst in technical terms, then yes, Linspire is better than windows.

Last edited by uninverted on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
berkbw
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAGs Slackware?
uninverted
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berkbw wrote:
BLAGs Slackware?

Read the four words before that, please.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BLAG Forum Index -> open discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP