FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
90k alpha - screen resolution problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pistonbrew
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: 90k alpha - screen resolution problems Reply with quote

hi, hope i can post alpha stuff in this forum..

i thought i'd have a go with 90k alpha, using BLAG-89999.22222-i386.iso.

my monitor (acer al1913 lcd) goes black during the graphical install - "input not supported". i could've done a text install, but i ran linux boot resolution=1024x768, and that did the trick.

the problem is now, after the first reboot, the monitor goes black again (presumably when blag firstboot is run), so i can't set up users, etc.
all i can do is hit ctrl+alt+backspace, and log in as user 'root' from the graphical chooser.
i can use the root account in X at 1280 resolution, the monitor can handle that ok, i don't know why it won't display the firstboot screens though.

is there a way to force firstboot to use a different resolution?

extraspecialbitter
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each time I've installed 89K - whether from CD or by updating from 70K - I've had a similar problem. In my case, rather than a black screen, X attempts to start but fails, dropping me into level 3. I've been able to fix this by hand-editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf and changing the "Driver" to "intel". "startx" will verify whether or not the change worked.
pistonbrew
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm getting into X ok with the "nv" driver. i'm not sure is firstboot needs to run or not though, as i can create users via the root account instead. but what if i haven't agreed to the preamble in the GNU?! will stallman come and get me?
stevo32
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try hitting the ctrl-alt-keypad minus key (has to be minus on the keypad!) and hopefully you'll be able to switch modes in such a way that you'll be able to see something. Hit it repeatedly to change modes (it'll eventually cycle through them all and back to your original mode).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good tip steveo, thanks.

as it happens, i'm back to 70k - i think 90 was a bit to young for me. i had problems with just about everything - look forward to trying it a little bit further down the line though!

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP