BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:34 pm 

Fedora is hard at work on integrating a lot of online crap (in my opinion) into future releases. This is called Gnome Online Desktop (or GOD for short). I wonder if the Blag project will do the same thing? I have had the best experience with GNU/Linux with Fedora (also Blag by extension), but I don't want all this junk on my computer. So, has the Blag team thought about the future paths of Fedora and Blag? Do you have any initial thoughts about GOD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I've looked a bit at the online desktop thing but I don't have any plans to make it the default blag setup. It will likely just be a repo thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:39 am 
Site Admin

I personally will avoid an application like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:06 am 

it looks cheese-a-rific to me. Funny enough gnome is doing their own online desktop.

http://live.gnome.org/OnlineDesktop

What I was thinking of doing for an online desktop if making an sftp folder so I can stick stuff in it at work and find it at home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:36 pm 

This might be fodder for a different thread, but I thought I'd bring it up here since it's sort of a "future of GNOME" type thing.
Is anyone here as worried as I am about the way the Mono project seems to be shoehorning itself into the GNOME desktop? BLAG has done an awesome job with avoiding the steaming pile of crap that is Mono (my opinion, of course... :)), but it sort of scares me to look at new releases of modern Linux distros and seeing more and more of their "core apps" being Mono-based (F-Spot, Beagle, etc.).
Does anyone know if the GNOME project plans on going in this direction? I would hate to see Mono as a direct dependency for all GNOME stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:34 pm 

It's hard to know which way Gnome will go with mono. I would prefer if they concentrated on open frameworks on which to build things on top and focus on letting you customize rather than shoehorning lesser functioning apps onto the desktop. XFCE keeps getting better, and is always an alternative if gnome goes south. I'll probably try it out again, even though I'll probably stick with server gnome world apps over their xfce counterparts. Although to be honest I'm pretty close to just switching to fluxbox or openbox full time once I find a couple other apps to use with them. It doesn't look like I'll find that boring night to learn Ratpoison/Stumpwm anytime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:39 pm 

Doesn't Ubuntu Christian Edition have good support for GOD?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:17 pm 

noldrin wrote:
Although to be honest I'm pretty close to just switching to fluxbox or openbox full time once I find a couple other apps to use with them.

What do you miss in openbox? I'm currently runnig it with gnome-session launched at startup in order to get gnome-panel for networkmanager-applet.

I'm thinking about starting a wiki page about ob to collect information on useful stuff to replace gnome with it.

could that be a possible future of blag? (=