FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Few Questions for a Rookie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anchorite
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Few Questions for a Rookie Reply with quote

I've distro hopped for the past year, and want to give BLAG a try. 3 things that seem to be causing me the most consternation:

Wireless: I have a ThinkPad T41 with built-in wireless and a Buffalo AirStation USB wireless. Was wondering how to go about getting either or both working.

Virtualization: Used VirtualBox in the past, and was curious to see what others would recommend.

Menus: Is there a way to edit the menus?

Any help would rock.

Thx

brixtoncalling
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Virtualization: Used VirtualBox in the past, and was curious to see what others would recommend.

I have VirtualBox on my BLAG 70k system. It runs much faster than (k)qemu, which I also have installed.

jebba
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Few Questions for a Rookie Reply with quote

anchorite wrote:
I've distro hopped for the past year, and want to give BLAG a try. 3 things that seem to be causing me the most consternation:

Wireless: I have a ThinkPad T41 with built-in wireless and a Buffalo AirStation USB wireless. Was wondering how to go about getting either or both working.

Here's a list of cards which theoretically work with Free Software:
http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/net/wireless/cards.html

I'm not sure about your card in particular though. Many say one thing on the outside and have something else inside them.

anchorite wrote:

kvm, if you have a processor that can handle it. I don't think the T41 does though. You can also use qemu. Qemu also has a kqemu kernel module that makes it go much faster too.

anchorite wrote:
Menus: Is there a way to edit the menus?

Menu-->System-->Preferences-->Look and Feel (in blag those are verbs, upstream they are nouns)-->Main Menu

If it's not there, install alacarte. I've added it so it will be in BLAG 90001, btw.

anchorite wrote:
Any help would rock.

y voila!

-Jeff

anchorite
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like my usb wireless is included in the link. Now just have to get it working.

Will give QEMU a shot also. The laptop is dual-boot with XP, and need to see it for the job, and don't want to have to reboot.

I will definitely have enough to play with to keep me occupied tonight :-D

anchorite
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is trivial, but I liked the workspace cube in 70k. I can't seem to find the settings in the newest.

Like I said, pretty minor :-)

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anchorite wrote:
I know this is trivial, but I liked the workspace cube in 70k. I can't seem to find the settings in the newest.

Like I said, pretty minor :-)

compiz-fusion ? Perhaps you are looking for that.

anchorite
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed. Thanks much! Knew the compiz part, forgot the fusion.
Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP