FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
vmware
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gr00ve
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some time ago i tested quemu & xen vs vmware on a 64bit machine, and vmware beats those with a big fat pole speed wise that I can pretty much guarantee.
jebba
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gr00ve wrote:
some time ago i tested quemu & xen vs vmware on a 64bit machine, and vmware beats those with a big fat pole speed wise that I can pretty much guarantee.

but is slaveware, so we should try to keep it on topic and with the theme of the entire blag project. ;)

kvm is definitely the best i've seen. I use it all the time (via vnc ssh tunnels) and it's pretty much the same as a regular machine. If the host can cache the whole .img then bootup and launching and stuff can be faster. It's very nice.

-Jeff

noldrin
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gr00ve wrote:

But was it on a multicore machine?

jebba
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combined you have both have over 750 posts, yet i still have to go thru the hassle of splitting this and moving it to slaveware.

We're trying to keep non-free discussion out of the freaking main forums. I know there are other non-free discussions in the forum archives or whatever, but lets at least not add to it.

plz, save me the hassle.

Saint of Killers
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise my opinion is worth 3/5'ths of fuckall, but I still find the term "Slaveware" derogatory and unnecessary. A better name could have been selected/chosen. The very term turns most away from this section.

I'm sure this is not just my opinion. I am not trying to offend, just trying to make a point. Please consider it. Thank you.

Regards,
Saint of Killers

noldrin
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry jebba

Saint, it's only derogatory to people who make it. Personally I'm not worried about hurting Bill Gate's feelings

jebba
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint of Killers wrote:
I realise my opinion is worth 3/5'ths of fuckall, but I still find the term "Slaveware" derogatory and unnecessary. A better name could have been selected/chosen. The very term turns most away from this section.

I'm sure this is not just my opinion. I am not trying to offend, just trying to make a point. Please consider it. Thank you.

Make a better point then. Suggest an alternative. It's just a freaking editable field in a web browser that could be easily changed if you come up with something better.

jebba
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint of Killers wrote:
The very term turns most away from this section.

I missed this in my first glance at your message. I dont mind people being turned away from this section *at all*. I just dont like the non-free threads in the other parts of the forums. I just dont care to read about winxp and whatever other proprietary crap is going on. There are a billion forums on the internet that discuss this stuff. Why on earth does it need to be dragged into here too? So ya, turn them away from this section which I don't even really want to have at all.

Saint of Killers
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:
The very term turns most away from this section.

I missed this in my first glance at your message. I dont mind people being turned away from this section *at all*. I just dont like the non-free threads in the other parts of the forums. I just dont care to read about winxp and whatever other proprietary crap is going on. There are a billion forums on the internet that discuss this stuff. Why on earth does it need to be dragged into here too? So ya, turn them away from this section which I don't even really want to have at all.

My meaning was that the very term would turn most off from even entering, let alone posting, to it. As I said, I've no intent to offend, I simply think a better term could have been chosen other than "slaveware", no need to fire up at me. I should have known i'd get this reaction. It was only meant to point out the name was less than an ideal choice, and some would find offensive. At what point did I mention XP or the like? Please stop making mountains out of molehills. This has been a very nice distro so far, but a little more tolerance would be appreciated. I have not asked anything outrageous, please reread what has been said by me, and stop tasking offence when I have said nothing wrong. Thank you for listening.

Saint of Killers
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:

Make a better point then. Suggest an alternative. It's just a freaking editable field in a web browser that could be easily changed if you come up with something better.

Better point? What about "Non-free"? Instead of critisizing my attempts, perhaps you could be a little more accepting and a little less offensive. I am only pointing out how offensive "slaveware" is, I am not advocating using non-free software, just pointing out the poor choice of name. Perhaps try seeing what i'm saying, and not what you prefer to see. Your attitude does not help convince people to try the "other" alternative, and i'm trying regularly to show people what Free Software is capable of. I really am. A little understanding, and a little less hostility would go a long way.

jebba
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint of Killers wrote:
jebba wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:

Better point? What about "Non-free"? Instead of critisizing my attempts, perhaps you could be a little more accepting and a little less offensive. I am only pointing out how offensive "slaveware" is, I am not advocating using non-free software, just pointing out the poor choice of name. Perhaps try seeing what i'm saying, and not what you prefer to see. Your attitude does not help convince people to try the "other" alternative, and i'm trying regularly to show people what Free Software is capable of. I really am. A little understanding, and a little less hostility would go a long way.

Ok, changed. That easy. No need for a series of posts about it. I didn't criticize you attempts, i criticized your *lack* of attempts.

I find it offensive that I even have to have a non-free section in the forums. Ever look at it from *my* perspective?

Ah, and i'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, if you hadn't noticed. I just provide the tools.

-Jeff

meandean
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked slaveware myself but predatory might be a good term to consider.

non-free is just likely to be confused for payment required

jebba
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meandean wrote:
I liked slaveware myself but predatory might be a good term to consider.

non-free is just likely to be confused for payment required

Ya, "non-free" does not carry with it the same amount of info that "slaveware" did. "Predatory software" is a great phrase though. It conveys that they basically get their hooks into you, one little byte at a time. ;)

noldrin
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one forum I was on, we moved all the annoying threads into a forum called HOL which stood for Human Occupied Landfill. Slaveware is mild in comparison. You guys should feel lucky that jebba puts up with it at all.
jebba
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BLAG Forum Index -> non-free Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP