FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Custom Blag desktop arrangement?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fcassia
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Custom Blag desktop arrangement? Reply with quote

Perhaps Jeff or someone else here could shed some light on how easy or difficult it is to customize a Blag install CD with extra background bitmaps?

Plus, I'd like to tweak a Blag install CD to feature a few extra apps (namely Java, OO.o), and a custom FF 3.0 with preloaded bookmarks file and extensions, etc?

For instance, say I'd like to have a couple extra folders and files present in the default desktop (for all users). Is there a place where I could add those in the install cd?. Any way for Anaconda to tweak the default gnome desktop post-install before the initial log-in?

Too many questions, I know...

FC
PS: Don't worry I don't want to create a fork ;-), just for in-house use and ease of install...

noldrin
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

learn how to use pungi

https://fedorahosted.org/pungi

That is what I'm doing

jebba
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Blag desktop arrangement? Reply with quote

fcassia wrote:
Perhaps Jeff or someone else here could shed some light on how easy or difficult it is to customize a Blag install CD with extra background bitmaps?

Send me the images as attachments to me if you think they'd be good to include in blag. I have a few images in there now which are most emphatically not blag images. Dohza.

fcassia wrote:
Plus, I'd like to tweak a Blag install CD to feature a few extra apps (namely Java, OO.o), and a custom FF 3.0 with preloaded bookmarks file and extensions, etc?

Bookmarks? heh. You want to help clean up the *blag* bookmarks by any chance too?

http://bugzilla.blagblagblag.org/show_bug.cgi?id=634

I dont know what the best way would be to include firefox extensions. There are a number of different approaches, like just building them into the firefox.rpm.

To add to the CD, you'd need to edit the pungi kickstart file and add them to comps.xml.

fcassia wrote:
For instance, say I'd like to have a couple extra folders and files present in the default desktop (for all users). Is there a place where I could add those in the install cd?. Any way for Anaconda to tweak the default gnome desktop post-install before the initial log-in?

Any files you add to /etc/skel get added to all user accounts when they are created. So one way is to just plonk them into there.

Check the (old) sckript blag-firstboot for ideas on how to configure the default gnome post-install.

fcassia wrote:
Too many questions, I know...

No prob, that's what we're paid for!

fcassia wrote:
PS: Don't worry I don't want to create a fork ;-), just for in-house use and ease of install...

Heh, but perhaps some of the things you want could be in blag itself, not just your build. :)

-Jeff

jebba
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check out revisor in addition to pungi.
noldrin
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to make some foundations to do a BLAG lite with an XFCE desktop. Although if anyone else is working on it, don't let my playing around with it deter you. It's still quite in the maybe / maybe not stage.
john maclean
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The race is on! I'll see if I can do a fluxbox one by Friday!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well dont leave me out...

I still haven't got around to downloading the latest blag but I hope to work on a custom ISO as well. I am a debianite and have been working on updating some of my live images to my favorite packages but hope to jump into some blag soon.

My favs are icewm, xfe, epdfview, feh, xmms, ....etc...

If something I create could be a community-blag-version and be 'official' then that would be cool and if not then that is cool too I will host it on my webspace and call it myblaggy....okay maybe not

noldrin
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, after the race we should have the lightest 100% free software desktop out there.
renilgh
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe I'm going to jump in and work out something openbox-based. That might be even lighter. (=

jebba: dunno if I'm really going to try making some useful ob-desktop but I'll definitely make some suggestions for bookmarks file and look into firefox-extensions.

jebba
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that would be great to see a bunch of blag spins. I can put them up on the BLAG ftp site if you want. :)
john maclean
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
yum  install revisor
--> Processing Conflict: revisor conflicts fedora-release <7> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: revisor conflicts with fedora-release < 7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john maclean wrote:
Code:
yum  install revisor
--> Processing Conflict: revisor conflicts fedora-release <7> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: revisor conflicts with fedora-release < 7

In upstream's revisor.spec:

Code:
Conflicts:      fedora-release < 7
# Can't conflict with this one!
#Conflicts:      centos-release < 5
# Can't conflict with this one!
#Conflicts:      redhat-release < 5
# Or:
#Conflicts:      redhat-release = 4, redhat-release = 3

Those commented out lines are in the spec, i didn't add them.

Code:
* Sun Jun 17 2007 Jonathan Steffan <jon> 2.0.3.10-1
- Final round of fixes for 2.0.3.x
- Added requirement for fedora-release >= 7

Annoying. I'll rebuild revisor for now.

noldrin
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some days I just want to rebuild the entire lot of core RPM files
jebba
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
yum install revisor

should be happy with fedora-release stuff commented out in spec.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP