FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
machine freezing 90k

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jisis
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: machine freezing 90k Reply with quote

Ciao

After running a yum update, installing samba and it's gui (all in succession), my 90001 install has developed a stutter.

Freezes occur every couple of seconds: mouse, moving windows, text typing - all pause.

I disabled samba as soon as I noticed it and a run of 'top' does not reveal any major hogs.

Any ideas?

jebba
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
dmesg

Also, perhaps just let it sit for a minute or two. Maybe it needs to think, and is doing something totally different like running makewhatis or prelink or ...

I've barely used samba in the distant past, but i doubt its related to just *installing* it. Are you actively using it for your homedir or anything like that? Maybe it's adding some "feature" to nautilus and it's suddenly got some new found capability its using on the network. OK. I'm just guessing here, but i dont have much to work with. :)

Oh, and is it ok when you removed samba?

jisis
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
Code:
dmesg

Also, perhaps just let it sit for a minute or two. Maybe it needs to think, and is doing something totally different like running makewhatis or prelink or ...

I've barely used samba in the distant past, but i doubt its related to just *installing* it. Are you actively using it for your homedir or anything like that? Maybe it's adding some "feature" to nautilus and it's suddenly got some new found capability its using on the network. OK. I'm just guessing here, but i dont have much to work with. :)

Oh, and is it ok when you removed samba?

no, samba wasn't cause. The freezing occured for a good few hours.

I already tried dmesg, a few reboots, installed XFCE but nothing apparent to me. I seem to recall that the makewhat thing might have affected an older laptop, back in the days of 30001 but this machine is 1gb ram, dual core, decent GPU etcblah

It seems fine today, so I'm starting to suspect it was overheating. (tried installing the XFCE sensors plugin last night but it's reporting "no sensors found!".)

ta muchly

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP