FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
non-free fonts and office apps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john maclean
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: non-free fonts and office apps Reply with quote

I made a doc with gnumeric and saved it as a csv and sent it to some one. He could open but the file looked garbled. My guess is that he does not have the font that I used, (doze user), but what else could it be? In the end I sent it to him after running oocalc, (bloat alert), grrrr!

What if he sent me a file in a non-free font? Would I be able to open that?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: non-free fonts and office apps Reply with quote

john maclean wrote:
I made a doc with gnumeric and saved it as a csv and sent it to some one.

afaik, csv format does not save font info as it's plain text in effect. might be a character encoding problem -- i assume you have gnumeric set up as utf-8. excel [in my dim and distant memory] has to be forced to read the character encoding if it doesn't match the encoding of the system it's opened on.

john maclean
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beats me tbh. I hate non plain-text files but this chap wanted a spreadsheet. Not doing that again!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csv doens't contain fonts. It's just a text file with comma separated values, hence csv.

Even doing an excel export wouldn't have fonts in it, or need it. Gnumeric can export for excel.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP