FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Intel Wireless Card on 90000 Alpha

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rajkumar
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Intel Wireless Card on 90000 Alpha Reply with quote

I downloaded 90000 alpha and have not been able to get my wireless working. It is an Intel 3945 on a Dell Latitude D820. I am not able to activate the card. Everytime I try to activate, I get the following error:

Determining IP information for wlan0...SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

Was the firmware for this card removed by any chance.
or is there something I am missing..
I did try with a Fedora 9 Live CD before I installed Blag, and Fedora Live was able to find and work with my wireless device.

Thanks for your help.
Rajkumar

extraspecialbitter
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what kind of wireless card the D820 has? To list all PCI devices, type:

Code:
lspci

Feel free to post the output here if it isn't obvious. Likewise, the following will list the kernel modules loaded at boot time:

Code:
lsmod

My B130 had a Broadcom 4318, and I was able to get it working with BLAG. The kernel should include the required drivers, but the firmware is non-free and will have to be downloaded from elsewhere. You will also need bcm43xx-fwcutter to extract the firmware into a format usable by your Linux kernel. There is a good How-to on this very topic at http://forums.fedoraforum.org/printthread.php?t=156282.

jebba
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Intel Wireless Card on 90000 Alpha Reply with quote

Rajkumar wrote:
It is an Intel 3945
Was the firmware for this card removed by any chance.

The Intel firmware is *not* in the linux kernel. It is a separate proprietary package shipped in it's own RPM by Fedora. It is not included in BLAG since it is not Free Software.

-Jeff

Rajkumar
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks Have it working Reply with quote

I downloaded the firmware, and now have wireless working.
Is there a free alternative?
Thanks
Rajkumar

jebba
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Have it working Reply with quote

Rajkumar wrote:

Uh, if ethernet is an alternative, yes....

vx
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Have it working Reply with quote

Rajkumar wrote:
Thanks
Rajkumar

how you do that?
I'm trying to use my wifi Intel card,
according with BLAG documentation, the driver (ipw2200) is included:
https://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Wireless#Intel.C2.AE_PRO.2FWireless_Network_Connection

but looking at the firmware's site, there's various versions of the driver, so I have to know what's the version of mine, how can I know it? and, how to reload the driver after load firmware?

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP